User Reviews for Rifampin to treat Mycobacterium avium-intracellulare, Treatment

Also known as: Rifadin, Rimactane, Rifadin IV

GONEAL ยท Taken for 2 to 5 years October 5, 2017

“This is my update from previous comment ; I've been on this drug, 3 150 mg caps daily, since 10/2012 with a 6 month break after 2 yrs, at which time I regressed and had to be restarted on it; there are side effects I listed in prev. Review; my diarrhea is better; Fast heart rate; currently experiencing high feelings of anxiety, intermittent fever and chills; periodic severe L side pain in pancreas area; increased lethargy, weakness, painful joints esp. hips, knees, finger joints; wt of 85lbs; are newer & becoming a bit problematic, but I was advised when taken off my drugs for 6 months, if I require restarting therapy, I would remain on them for life. I'm at the end of my 5th yr now! I tend to require hospitalization each November.”

GMCO February 7, 2013

“CURRENTLY on rifampin therapy along with ethambutol, zithromax, IV amikacin and prilosec for the MAC. experiencing numerous side effects to include diarrhea, nausea, intermittent episodes of severe vomiting, extreme fatigue, headaches (almost all the time), dizziness, double vision, generalized body aches, and severe cramps in my extremities. It is hard to tell which drug is the culprit. I have experienced two incidences of elevated liver enzymes, which have returned back to within normal limits so far. At this point in my therapy, there has been no documented improvement, but I am told to expect it to take up to two years of therapy for a cure. I will update my experience as time progresses.”