Generic Name: Cyclosporine (Ophthalmic) (SYE kloe spor een)
Brand Name: Cequa, Restasis, Restasis MultiDose
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 16, 2020.
Uses of Restasis:
- It is used to help some patients make more tears.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Restasis?
- If you are allergic to this medicine (Restasis); any part of this medicine (Restasis); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (Restasis) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Restasis?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (Restasis). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Use care when driving or doing other tasks that call for clear eyesight.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Restasis) best taken?
Use this medicine (Restasis) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- For the eye only.
- Take out contact lenses before using this medicine (Restasis). Lenses may be put back in 15 minutes after this medicine (Restasis) is given. Do not put contacts back in if your eyes are irritated or infected.
- Do not touch the container tip to the eye, lid, or other skin.
- Wash hands before and after use.
- Tilt your head back and drop drug into the eye.
- After use, keep your eyes closed. Put pressure on the inside corner of the eye. Do this for 1 to 2 minutes. This keeps the drug in your eye.
- Space this medicine (Restasis) from artificial tears by 15 minutes.
- For some brands, you will need to turn the vial upside down a few times to mix the drug before use. Check with the pharmacist if you have questions.
- Each container is for one use only. Use right after opening. Throw away any part of the opened container after the dose is given.
- You will need to prepare the bottle before first use. Follow what you have been told by the doctor or read the package insert.
- Prime the bottle before first use by squeezing 2 drops onto a tissue. Do not touch the bottle tip to the tissue.
- Turn upside down a few times to mix the drug before use.
- Put the cap back on after you are done using your dose.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Change in eyesight.
- Very bad eye irritation.
What are some other side effects of Restasis?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
How do I store and/or throw out Restasis?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- If this medicine (Restasis) comes in a foil pouch, store in the foil pouch until ready for use.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (Restasis), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Restasis (cyclosporine ophthalmic)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 167 Reviews
- Drug class: ophthalmic anti-inflammatory agents
Other brands: Cequa