Generic Name: Doxepin (Topical) (DOKS e pin)
Brand Name: Prudoxin, Zonalon
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 28, 2020.
Uses of Prudoxin:
- It is used to treat itching.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Prudoxin?
For all patients taking Prudoxin (doxepin (topical)):
- If you have an allergy to doxepin or any other part of Prudoxin (doxepin (topical)).
- If you are allergic to Prudoxin (doxepin (topical)); any part of Prudoxin (doxepin (topical)); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: Trouble passing urine or glaucoma.
- If you have taken certain drugs for depression or Parkinson's disease in the last 14 days. This includes isocarboxazid, phenelzine, tranylcypromine, selegiline, or rasagiline. Very high blood pressure may happen.
- If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
- If the patient is a child. Do not give Prudoxin (doxepin (topical)) to a child.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Prudoxin (doxepin (topical)).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Prudoxin (doxepin (topical)) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Prudoxin?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Prudoxin (doxepin (topical)). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Prudoxin (doxepin (topical)) affects you.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- Use care when using on a large part of the skin. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use Prudoxin (doxepin (topical)) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Prudoxin (doxepin (topical)) while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Prudoxin) best taken?
Use Prudoxin (doxepin (topical)) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take Prudoxin (doxepin (topical)) by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Wash your hands before and after use. Do not wash your hands after use if putting this on your hand.
- Clean affected part before use. Make sure to dry well.
- Put a thin layer on the affected skin and rub in gently.
- Do not use coverings (bandages, dressings, make-up) unless told to do so by the doctor.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
- Feeling very sleepy.
- Feeling confused.
- Very bad skin irritation.
What are some other side effects of Prudoxin?
- Feeling sleepy.
- Dry mouth.
- More thirst.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
How do I store and/or throw out Prudoxin?
- Store at room temperature.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Prudoxin (doxepin (topical)), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
More about Prudoxin (doxepin topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Drug class: topical antihistamines
Other brands: Zonalon