Generic Name: Acetaminophen, Caffeine, and Isometheptene Mucate (a seet a MIN oh fen, KAF een, & eye soe meth EP teen MUE kate)
Brand Name: Prodrin
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Apr 30, 2019.
- This medicine has acetaminophen in it. Liver problems have happened with the use of acetaminophen. Sometimes, this has led to a liver transplant or death. Most of the time, liver problems happened in people taking more than 4,000 mg (milligrams) of acetaminophen in a day. People were also often taking more than 1 drug that had acetaminophen.
Uses of Prodrin:
- It is used to treat headaches.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Prodrin?
- If you have an allergy to acetaminophen, caffeine, isometheptene, or any other part of Prodrin (acetaminophen, caffeine, and isometheptene mucate).
- If you are taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors (eg, isocarboxazid, phenelzine, and tranylcypromine) talk with your doctor. Taking both at the same time could cause risky high blood pressure.
- If you have any of these health problems: Glaucoma, heart disease, or high blood pressure.
- If you have any of the following conditions: Kidney or liver disease.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Prodrin (acetaminophen, caffeine, and isometheptene mucate).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Prodrin (acetaminophen, caffeine, and isometheptene mucate) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Prodrin?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Prodrin (acetaminophen, caffeine, and isometheptene mucate). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid taking other products that have acetaminophen in them. Check labels closely. Too much acetaminophen may cause liver problems.
- Follow the directions exactly. Do not take more acetaminophen in a day than directed. If you do not know how much acetaminophen you can take in a day, ask your doctor or pharmacist. Some people may take up to 4,000 mg (milligrams) in a day if told to do so by the doctor. Some people (like people with liver problems and children) should take less acetaminophen. Call your doctor right away if you have taken too much acetaminophen in a day, even if you feel well.
- Avoid or limit drinking alcohol to less than 3 drinks a day. Drinking too much alcohol may raise your chance of liver disease.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take Prodrin (acetaminophen, caffeine, and isometheptene mucate).
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Prodrin (acetaminophen, caffeine, and isometheptene mucate) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Prodrin) best taken?
Use Prodrin (acetaminophen, caffeine, and isometheptene mucate) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take Prodrin (acetaminophen, caffeine, and isometheptene mucate) on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Prodrin (acetaminophen, caffeine, and isometheptene mucate) is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Not able to pass urine or change in how much urine is passed.
- Feeling confused.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Prodrin?
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
How do I store and/or throw out Prodrin?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Protect from heat.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Prodrin (acetaminophen, caffeine, and isometheptene mucate), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
More about Prodrin (acetaminophen / caffeine / isometheptene mucate)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- 5 Reviews
- Drug class: analgesic combinations
- FDA Alerts (2)
Other brands: MigraTen