Medically reviewed on Sep 5, 2018
- Estrogens may raise the chance of uterine cancer. Progestins may lower this chance. A warning sign for cancer of the uterus is vaginal bleeding. Report any vaginal bleeding to the doctor.
- Do not use estrogens to prevent heart disease or dementia. Using estrogens may raise the chances of having a heart attack, a stroke, breast cancer, ovarian cancer, a blood clot, or dementia.
- Use estrogens with or without progestin for the shortest time needed at the lowest useful dose.
Uses of Premphase:
- It is used to put off soft, brittle bones (osteoporosis) in women after change of life.
- It is used to treat symptoms of low estrogen levels in women who have been through menopause (change of life).
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Premphase?
- If you have an allergy to estrogens (conjugated/equine), medroxyprogesterone, or any other part of Premphase (estrogens (conjugated/equine) and medroxyprogesterone).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have had any of these health problems: Bleeding disorder, blood clots, a higher risk of having a blood clot, breast cancer, liver problems or liver tumor, heart attack, stroke, or a tumor where estrogen makes it grow.
- If you have unexplained vaginal bleeding.
- If you are pregnant or may be pregnant. Do not take Premphase (estrogens (conjugated/equine) and medroxyprogesterone) if you are pregnant.
- If the patient is a child. Do not give Premphase (estrogens (conjugated/equine) and medroxyprogesterone) to a child.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Premphase (estrogens (conjugated/equine) and medroxyprogesterone).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Premphase (estrogens (conjugated/equine) and medroxyprogesterone) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Premphase?
For all uses of Premphase (estrogens (conjugated/equine) and medroxyprogesterone):
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Premphase (estrogens (conjugated/equine) and medroxyprogesterone). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), you will need to watch your blood sugar closely.
- High blood pressure has happened with drugs like this one. Have your blood pressure checked as you have been told by your doctor.
- High triglyceride levels have happened with Premphase (estrogens (conjugated/equine) and medroxyprogesterone). Tell your doctor if you have ever had high triglyceride levels.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Have a bone density test as you have been told by your doctor. Talk with your doctor.
- Be sure to have regular breast exams and gynecology check-ups. Your doctor will tell you how often to have these. You will also need to do breast self-exams as your doctor has told you. Talk with your doctor.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take Premphase (estrogens (conjugated/equine) and medroxyprogesterone).
- Limit your drinking of alcohol.
- Avoid cigarette smoking. Smoking raises the chance of heart disease. Talk with your doctor.
- If you drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit often, talk with your doctor.
- This medicine may raise the chance of blood clots, a stroke, or a heart attack. Talk with the doctor.
- Talk with your doctor if you will need to be still for long periods of time like long trips, bedrest after surgery, or illness. Not moving for long periods may raise your chance of blood clots.
- If you are 65 or older, use Premphase (estrogens (conjugated/equine) and medroxyprogesterone) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
Soft, brittle bones (osteoporosis):
- This medicine works best when used with calcium/vitamin D and weight-bearing workouts like walking or PT (physical therapy).
- Follow the diet and workout plan that your doctor told you about.
How is this medicine (Premphase) best taken?
Use Premphase (estrogens (conjugated/equine) and medroxyprogesterone) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take Premphase (estrogens (conjugated/equine) and medroxyprogesterone) at the same time of day.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep taking Premphase (estrogens (conjugated/equine) and medroxyprogesterone) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Signs of high blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- Signs of gallbladder problems like pain in the upper right belly area, right shoulder area, or between the shoulder blades; yellow skin or eyes; fever with chills; bloating; or very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Weakness on 1 side of the body, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, drooping on one side of the face, or blurred eyesight.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Bulging eyes.
- Change in how contact lenses feel in the eyes.
- Change in eyesight, eye pain, or very bad eye irritation.
- Loss of eyesight.
- A lump in the breast, breast soreness, or nipple discharge.
- Breast pain.
- Vaginal itching or discharge.
- Vaginal bleeding that is not normal.
- Low mood (depression).
- Memory problems or loss.
- Call your doctor right away if you have signs of a blood clot like chest pain or pressure; coughing up blood; shortness of breath; swelling, warmth, numbness, change of color, or pain in a leg or arm; or trouble speaking or swallowing.
What are some other side effects of Premphase?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Belly pain.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Back pain.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Enlarged breasts.
- Tender breasts.
- Hair loss.
- Vaginal bleeding or spotting.
- This medicine may cause dark patches of skin on your face. Avoid sun, sunlamps, and tanning beds. Use sunscreen and wear clothing and eyewear that protects you from the sun.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Premphase?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Premphase (estrogens (conjugated/equine) and medroxyprogesterone), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Premphase (conjugated estrogens / medroxyprogesterone)
- Premphase Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 2 Reviews
- Drug class: sex hormone combinations
- FDA Alerts (1)
Other brands: Prempro