Generic Name: Metronidazole Gel and Cleansing Lotion (MET roe NYE da zole)
Brand Name: MetroGel
Uses of Metronidazole Gel and Cleansing Lotion:
- It is used to treat rosacea.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Metronidazole Gel and Cleansing Lotion?
- If you have an allergy to metronidazole or any other part of metronidazole gel and cleansing lotion.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have taken disulfiram within the past 2 weeks.
- If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take metronidazole gel and cleansing lotion with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Metronidazole Gel and Cleansing Lotion?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol. You may need to avoid drinking alcohol while using metronidazole gel and cleansing lotion and for some time after your last dose.
- Metronidazole has been shown to cause cancer in mice and rats with long-term use. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not use this medicine for other health problems.
- This medicine may affect how much of some other drugs are in your body. If you are taking other drugs, talk with your doctor. You may need to have your blood work checked more closely while taking metronidazole gel and cleansing lotion with your other drugs.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Metronidazole Gel and Cleansing Lotion) best taken?
Use metronidazole gel and cleansing lotion as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Follow how to take this medicine as you have been told by your doctor. Do not use more than you were told to use.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Use as you have been told, even if your signs get better.
- Do not take metronidazole gel and cleansing lotion by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Clean affected part before use. Make sure to dry well.
- Put a thin layer on the affected skin and rub in gently.
- Makeup may be used after the skin has dried.
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs or products on your skin.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Very bad irritation where this medicine is used.
What are some other side effects of Metronidazole Gel and Cleansing Lotion?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Skin irritation.
- Dry skin.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Metronidazole Gel and Cleansing Lotion?
- Store at room temperature.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about metronidazole gel and cleansing lotion, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about metronidazole gel and cleansing lotion. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using metronidazole gel and cleansing lotion.
Review Date: December 6, 2017
More about metronidazole topical
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- 102 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical anti-rosacea agents
- Metronidazole topical
- Metronidazole vaginal
- Metronidazole Cream, Gel, and Lotion
- Metronidazole Vaginal Gel
- Metronidazole Topical (Advanced Reading)
- Metronidazole Vaginal (Advanced Reading)