Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 23, 2021.
Uses of Metronidazole Gel and Cleansing Lotion:
- It is used to treat rosacea.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Metronidazole Gel and Cleansing Lotion?
- If you have an allergy to metronidazole or any other part of metronidazole gel and cleansing lotion.
- If you are allergic to metronidazole gel and cleansing lotion; any part of metronidazole gel and cleansing lotion; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have taken disulfiram within the past 2 weeks.
- If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with metronidazole gel and cleansing lotion.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take metronidazole gel and cleansing lotion with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Metronidazole Gel and Cleansing Lotion?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take metronidazole gel and cleansing lotion. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use products that have alcohol in them. You may need to avoid drinking alcohol or taking products that have alcohol in them while using metronidazole gel and cleansing lotion and for some time after your last dose.
- If you are taking a product that has propylene glycol in it, talk with your doctor.
- Metronidazole has been shown to cause cancer in mice and rats with long-term use. Talk with the doctor.
- The doctor has given you metronidazole gel and cleansing lotion for a certain health problem. Do not use metronidazole gel and cleansing lotion for other health problems.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using metronidazole gel and cleansing lotion while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Metronidazole Gel and Cleansing Lotion) best taken?
Use metronidazole gel and cleansing lotion as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Use as you have been told, even if your signs get better.
- Do not take metronidazole gel and cleansing lotion by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Clean affected part before use. Make sure to dry well.
- Put a thin layer on the affected skin and rub in gently.
- Makeup may be used after the skin has dried.
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs or products on your skin.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Irritation where metronidazole gel and cleansing lotion is used.
- Nervous system problems have happened with the oral and injection forms of metronidazole gel and cleansing lotion. Call your doctor right away if you have a burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal; change in balance or eyesight; dizziness or passing out; headache; not able to sleep; seizures; or trouble speaking. Call your doctor right away if you feel confused, depressed, irritable, tired, or weak.
What are some other side effects of Metronidazole Gel and Cleansing Lotion?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Dry skin.
- Burning or stinging.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Metronidazole Gel and Cleansing Lotion?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about metronidazole gel and cleansing lotion, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about metronidazole topical
- Side effects
- Drug interactions
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Reviews (301)
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Drug class: topical anti-rosacea agents
- Drug Information
- Metronidazole vaginal
- Metronidazole Topical (Advanced Reading)
- Metronidazole Vaginal (Advanced Reading)
- Metronidazole Cream, Gel, and Lotion
- Metronidazole Vaginal Gel
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.