Generic Name: Dyphylline and Guaifenesin Liquid (DYE fi lin & gwye FEN e sin)
Brand Name: Difil-G-Forte
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 1, 2020.
Uses of Difil-G-Forte:
- It is used to treat breathing problems.
- It is used to thin mucus so it can be taken from the body by coughing.
- This medicine is not to be used to treat intense flare-ups of shortness of breath. Use a rescue inhaler. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Difil-G-Forte?
- If you are allergic to Difil-G-Forte (dyphylline and guaifenesin liquid); any part of Difil-G-Forte (dyphylline and guaifenesin liquid); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have a cough with a lot of mucus.
- If you have a long-term cough caused by smoking or being around smoke, or lung problems like asthma or emphysema.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Difil-G-Forte (dyphylline and guaifenesin liquid).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Difil-G-Forte (dyphylline and guaifenesin liquid) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Difil-G-Forte?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Difil-G-Forte (dyphylline and guaifenesin liquid). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not take more than what your doctor told you to take. Taking more than you are told may raise your chance of very bad side effects.
- Do not take Difil-G-Forte (dyphylline and guaifenesin liquid) for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take Difil-G-Forte (dyphylline and guaifenesin liquid).
- Limit your use of caffeine (for example, tea, coffee, cola) and chocolate. Use with Difil-G-Forte (dyphylline and guaifenesin liquid) may cause nervousness, shakiness, and a fast heartbeat.
- This medicine is not helpful during an asthma attack.
- Do not give Difil-G-Forte (dyphylline and guaifenesin liquid) to a child younger than 6 years of age.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Difil-G-Forte (dyphylline and guaifenesin liquid) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Difil-G-Forte) best taken?
Use Difil-G-Forte (dyphylline and guaifenesin liquid) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- Drink lots of noncaffeine liquids unless told to drink less liquid by your doctor.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with Difil-G-Forte (dyphylline and guaifenesin liquid). If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure Difil-G-Forte (dyphylline and guaifenesin liquid).
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take Difil-G-Forte (dyphylline and guaifenesin liquid) on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Difil-G-Forte (dyphylline and guaifenesin liquid) is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high blood sugar like confusion, feeling sleepy, more thirst, more hungry, passing urine more often, flushing, fast breathing, or breath that smells like fruit.
- A fast heartbeat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Fast breathing.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
- Blood in the urine.
- Feeling irritable.
- Feeling agitated.
What are some other side effects of Difil-G-Forte?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Belly pain.
- Not able to sleep.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Difil-G-Forte?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Difil-G-Forte (dyphylline and guaifenesin liquid), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
More about Difil-G Forte (dyphylline / guaifenesin)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- Drug class: antiasthmatic combinations
- FDA Alerts (1)
Other brands: Jay-Phyl