Generic Name: Cyclosporine Soft Gelatin Capsules (SYE kloe SPOR in)
Brand Name: Sandimmune
- You may have more of a chance of getting an infection. Wash hands often. Stay away from people with infections, colds, or flu. Some infections have been very bad and even deadly.
- Lymphoma and other cancers have happened in people who take this medicine (cyclosporine soft gelatin capsules) or drugs like it. This has been deadly in some cases. Talk with the doctor.
- If this medicine is given with other drugs that work on the immune system, it can add to the chance of getting an infection or lymphoma or other cancers. Call your doctor right away if you have a change in color or size of a mole; a lump in the armpit, groin, or neck; or any new or changing skin lump or growth. Talk with the doctor.
- Call your doctor right away if you have any signs of infection like fever, chills, flu-like signs, very bad sore throat, ear or sinus pain, cough, more sputum or change in color of sputum, pain with passing urine, mouth sores, or a wound that will not heal.
- This medicine may cause kidney problems in some patients. Talk with the doctor.
- High blood pressure has happened with this medicine (cyclosporine soft gelatin capsules). Have your blood pressure checked as you have been told by your doctor.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- There is more than 1 brand of this medicine. One brand cannot safely be used for the other. The doctor will tell you about any needed change.
- This medicine may be given with steroid drugs like hydrocortisone. Do not use with other drugs that weaken the immune system. Talk with the doctor.
Uses of Cyclosporine Soft Gelatin Capsules:
- It is used to keep the body from harming the organ after an organ transplant.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Cyclosporine Soft Gelatin Capsules?
- If you have an allergy to cyclosporine or any other part of this medicine (cyclosporine soft gelatin capsules).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have any of these health problems: Cancer, kidney problems, or high blood pressure.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Aliskiren, amiloride, bosentan, dabigatran, orlistat, spironolactone, or triamterene.
- If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (cyclosporine soft gelatin capsules) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Cyclosporine Soft Gelatin Capsules?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), you will need to watch your blood sugar closely.
- If you are taking a salt substitute that has potassium, potassium-sparing diuretics, or potassium, talk with your doctor.
- This medicine has alcohol in it. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine interacts with many other drugs. The chance of this medicine (cyclosporine soft gelatin capsules)'s side effects may be raised or how well this medicine works may be lowered. The chance of the other drugs' side effects may also be raised. This may include very bad, life-threatening, or deadly side effects. Check with your doctor and pharmacist to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (cyclosporine soft gelatin capsules) with all of your other drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins).
- There is a chance of skin cancer. Avoid sun, sunlamps, and tanning beds. Use sunscreen and wear clothing and eyewear that protects you from the sun.
- Have your skin checked as you have been told by your doctor. Talk with your doctor.
- Some people treated with this medicine have had very bad kidney problems caused by a certain viral infection (BK virus). In people who have had a kidney transplant, BK virus infection may cause loss of the kidney. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of kidney problems like change in the amount of urine passed, difficulty or pain when passing urine, or blood in the urine.
- A very bad and sometimes deadly brain problem called posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome (PRES) has happened with this medicine (cyclosporine soft gelatin capsules). Call your doctor right away if you have signs like feeling confused, lowered alertness, change in eyesight, loss of eyesight, seizures, or very bad headache.
- Talk with your doctor before getting any vaccines. Use with this medicine may either raise the chance of an infection or make the vaccine not work as well.
- Take good care of your teeth. See a dentist often.
- Avoid grapefruit and grapefruit juice.
- Watch for gout attacks.
- If you are 65 or older, use this medicine (cyclosporine soft gelatin capsules) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant. If you are pregnant or you get pregnant while taking this medicine, call your doctor right away.
How is this medicine (Cyclosporine Soft Gelatin Capsules) best taken?
Use this medicine (cyclosporine soft gelatin capsules) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Always take with food or always take on an empty stomach.
- If you are taking sirolimus, take it 4 hours after taking this medicine.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep taking this medicine (cyclosporine soft gelatin capsules) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Take this medicine at the same time of day.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- Signs of kidney problems like unable to pass urine, change in how much urine is passed, blood in the urine, or a big weight gain.
- Signs of electrolyte problems like mood changes, confusion, muscle pain or weakness, a heartbeat that does not feel normal, seizures, not hungry, or very bad upset stomach or throwing up.
- Any unexplained bruising or bleeding.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Chest pain or pressure or a fast heartbeat.
- Gum changes.
- Hearing loss.
- Shortness of breath.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly liver problems have happened with this medicine (cyclosporine soft gelatin capsules). Call your doctor right away if you have signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- A very bad brain problem called progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML) has happened with this medicine. It may cause disability or can be deadly. Tell your doctor right away if you have signs like confusion, memory problems, low mood (depression), change in the way you act, change in strength on 1 side is greater than the other, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, or change in eyesight.
What are some other side effects of Cyclosporine Soft Gelatin Capsules?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Hair growth.
- Pimples (acne).
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Belly pain.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Cyclosporine Soft Gelatin Capsules?
- Store in the original container at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (cyclosporine soft gelatin capsules), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine (cyclosporine soft gelatin capsules). It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine (cyclosporine soft gelatin capsules).
Review Date: December 6, 2017
More about cyclosporine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 10 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: calcineurin inhibitors
- Cyclosporine Capsules, Modified
- Cyclosporine Injection
- Cyclosporine Oral Solution
- Cyclosporine Oral Solution, Modified
- ... +2 more