Ceftolozane and tazobactam
Generic Name: ceftolozane and tazobactam (sef-TOL-oh-zane & TAZ-oh-BAK-tam)
Brand Name: Zerbaxa
Ceftolozane and tazobactam is used for:
Treating infections caused by certain bacteria.
Ceftolozane and tazobactam is an antibacterial agent. It works by blocking the bacteria's cell wall growth, which kills the bacteria.
Do NOT use ceftolozane and tazobactam if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in ceftolozane and tazobactam
- you have a history of allergic reaction to piperacillin and tazobactam or any other beta-lactam antibiotic (eg, penicillin)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using ceftolozane and tazobactam:
Some medical conditions may interact with ceftolozane and tazobactam. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney problems or are on dialysis
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with ceftolozane and tazobactam. However, no specific interactions with ceftolozane and tazobactam are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if ceftolozane and tazobactam may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use ceftolozane and tazobactam:
Use ceftolozane and tazobactam as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Ceftolozane and tazobactam is given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- If you miss a dose of ceftolozane and tazobactam, call your doctor to find out what to do.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use ceftolozane and tazobactam.
Important safety information:
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take ceftolozane and tazobactam before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Ceftolozane and tazobactam only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- Be sure to use ceftolozane and tazobactam for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of ceftolozane and tazobactam may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Mild diarrhea is common with antibiotic use. However, a more serious and sometimes fatal form of diarrhea (pseudomembranous colitis) may rarely occur. This may develop while you use the antibiotic or within several months after you stop using it. Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody or watery stools occur. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- Severe and sometimes fatal allergic reactions have rarely happened with medicines like this one. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Lab tests may be performed while you use ceftolozane and tazobactam. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use ceftolozane and tazobactam with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using ceftolozane and tazobactam while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use ceftolozane and tazobactam, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of ceftolozane and tazobactam:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; headache; nausea.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fever.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of ceftolozane and tazobactam:
Ceftolozane and tazobactam is will be handled and stored by a health care provider. You will not store it at home. Keep all medicines out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about ceftolozane and tazobactam, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ceftolozane and tazobactam is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take ceftolozane and tazobactam or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about ceftolozane and tazobactam. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to ceftolozane and tazobactam. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using ceftolozane and tazobactam.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about ceftolozane/tazobactam
- Other brands: Zerbaxa
- Ceftolozane Sulfate and Tazobactam Sodium (AHFS Monograph)
- Ceftolozane and Tazobactam (Wolters Kluwer)