Venclexta Side Effects
Generic name: venetoclax
Note: This document contains side effect information about venetoclax. Some dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Venclexta.
Common side effects of Venclexta include: tumor lysis syndrome and neutropenia. Continue reading for a comprehensive list of adverse effects.
Applies to venetoclax: oral tablet.
Serious side effects of Venclexta
Along with its needed effects, venetoclax (the active ingredient contained in Venclexta) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking venetoclax:
- Black, tarry stools
- bladder pain
- bleeding gums
- bloating or swelling of the face, arms, hands, lower legs, or feet
- blood in the urine or stools
- blurred vision
- body aches or pain
- bone pain
- chest pain or tightness
- cloudy urine
- coughing up blood
- decreased urine
- difficult, burning, or painful urination
- difficulty in breathing or swallowing
- difficulty in moving
- dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
- dry mouth
- frequent urge to urinate
- increased menstrual flow or vaginal bleeding
- increased thirst
- itching, pain, redness, swelling, tenderness, or warmth on the skin
- joint pain, stiffness, or swelling
- loss of appetite
- lower back or side pain
- mood or mental changes
- muscle cramps, pains, or stiffness
- muscle spasms (tetany) or twitching seizures
- numbness or tingling in the hands, feet, or lips
- pale skin
- pinpoint red spots on the skin
- pounding in the ears
- prolonged bleeding from cuts
- rapid weight gain
- rapid, shallow breathing
- red or black, tarry stools
- red or dark brown urine
- slow, fast, or irregular heartbeat
- sore throat
- tingling of the hands or feet
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- unusual weight gain or loss
- yellow eyes or skin
- holding false beliefs that cannot be changed by fact
- seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there
- unusual excitement, nervousness, or restlessness
Incidence not known
- Ear congestion
- runny or stuffy nose
- stomach pain
- ulcers, sores, or white spots in the mouth
Other side effects of Venclexta
Some side effects of venetoclax may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- Back pain
- decreased appetite
- difficulty having a bowel movement
- mouth or throat pain
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to venetoclax: oral kit, oral tablet.
Very common (10% or more): Diarrhea (35%), nausea (33%), vomiting (15%), constipation (14%)[Ref]
The most common adverse reactions (20% or greater) of any grade were neutropenia, diarrhea, nausea, anemia, upper respiratory tract infection, thrombocytopenia, and fatigue.[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Neutropenia (45%), anemia (29%), thrombocytopenia (22%)
Common (1% to 10%): Febrile neutropenia
Frequency not reported: Autoimmune hemolytic anemia[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Hyperkalemia (20%), hyperphosphatemia (15%), hypokalemia (12%)
Common (1% to 10%): Tumor lysis syndrome, hypocalcemia, hyperuricemia[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Back pain (10%)[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Headache (15%)[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Fatigue (21%), pyrexia (16%), peripheral edema (11%)[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Upper respiratory tract infection (22%), cough (13%)
Common (1% to 10%): Pneumonia[Ref]
Frequently asked questions
- Is Venclexta (venetoclax) chemotherapy?
- How effective is Venclexta?
- How long do you take Venclexta for?
- Can Venclexta be used for Multiple Myeloma?
- How is Venclexta (venetoclax) used for AML?
- How does Venclexta work?
More about Venclexta (venetoclax)
- Check interactions
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (2)
- Drug images
- Latest FDA alerts (1)
- Dosage information
- Patient tips
- During pregnancy
Related treatment guides
1. "Product Information. Venclexta (venetoclax)." AbbVie US LLC (2016):
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.