Secukinumab Side Effects
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 27, 2020.
Commonly reported side effects of secukinumab include: infection and nasopharyngitis. Other side effects include: diarrhea. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects.
For the Consumer
Applies to secukinumab: subcutaneous solution
Side effects requiring immediate medical attention
Along with its needed effects, secukinumab may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking secukinumab:
- Bladder pain
- bloody or cloudy urine
- burning feeling in the chest or stomach
- difficult, burning, or painful urination
- frequent urge to urinate
- loss of appetite
- lower back or side pain
- muscle aches
- nausea or vomiting
- passing of gas
- rectal bleeding
- sore throat
- stomach pain, cramps, fullness, discomfort, tenderness, or upset
- stuffy or runny nose
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- watery or bloody diarrhea
- Body aches or pain
- cough or hoarseness
- difficulty with breathing or swallowing
- dryness of the throat
- ear congestion
- hives or welts, itching, or skin rash
- loss of voice or voice changes
- painful cold sores or blisters on the lips
- redness of the skin
- scaling of the skin
- sore mouth or tongue
- tender, swollen glands in neck
- white patches in the mouth or on the tongue
- Severe diarrhea
- weight loss
Incidence not known
- fast heartbeat
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
- tightness in the chest
Side effects not requiring immediate medical attention
Some side effects of secukinumab may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
Incidence not known
- Bleeding, blistering, burning, coldness, discoloration of the skin, feeling of pressure, hives, infection, inflammation, itching, lumps, numbness, pain, rash, redness, scarring, soreness, stinging, swelling, tenderness, tingling, ulceration, or warmth at the injection site
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to secukinumab: subcutaneous powder for injection, subcutaneous solution
Common (1% to 10%): Diarrhea, oral herpes
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Oral candidiasis
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Immunogenicity
Frequency not reported: Candida infections, herpes viral infections, staphylococcal skin infections, infections requiring treatment (increased as serum concentration of this drug is increased), neutropenia[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Nasopharyngitis (11%)
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Neutropenia[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Cosentyx (secukinumab)." Novartis Pharmaceuticals, East Hanover, NJ.
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
Frequently asked questions
- What are the new drugs for the treatment of plaque psoriasis?
- Can I get a flu shot while taking Cosentyx?
- How long does Cosentyx take to work?
- How and where do you inject Cosentyx?
- Does Cosentyx treat Rheumatoid Arthritis?
More about secukinumab
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- 176 Reviews
- Drug class: interleukin inhibitors
- Other brands
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.