Ryna-CX Side Effects
Generic Name: codeine / guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine
Note: This page contains side effects data for the generic drug codeine / guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine. It is possible that some of the dosage forms included below may not apply to the brand name Ryna-CX.
For the Consumer
Applies to codeine / guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine: liquid, solution, suspension, syrup, tablets
Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur while taking codeine / guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine:
Constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision or other vision changes; confusion; difficulty urinating; fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; mental or mood changes; persistent trouble sleeping; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; shallow breathing; tremor; uncontrolled muscle movement.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to codeine / guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine: oral liquid, oral tablet
The more commonly expected adverse effects include nausea, vomiting, and dizziness.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: CNS depression, lightheadedness, dizziness, sedation, headache, convulsions, weakness
Frequency not reported: Restlessness, dizziness, weakness, headache, drowsiness, tremor[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Tachycardia, bradycardia, palpitation, faintness, syncope, orthostatic hypotension, circulatory depression
Frequency not reported: Tachycardia, palpitations, cardiac arrhythmias, hypertension, impaired circulation to the extremities, coronary artery spasm, chest pain[Ref]
Hypotension is rare and has been reported most frequently with high doses of codeine.
Pseudoephedrine causes vasoconstriction which generally does not produce hypertension, but may be problematic for patients with preexisting hypertension. Arrhythmias may be produced in predisposed patients. Rarely, pseudoephedrine has been reported to cause coronary artery spasm and chest pain.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Nausea, vomiting, constipation, biliary tract spasm, increased colonic motility, toxic dilation
Frequency not reported: Abdominal pain (upper), diarrhea, nausea, vomiting
Frequency not reported: Nausea, vomiting, dry mouth, ischemic colitis[Ref]
Patients with chronic ulcerative colitis may experience increased colonic motility, while patients with acute ulcerative colitis have experienced toxic dilation with codeine use.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Oliguria, urinary retention, antidiuretic effect
Frequency not reported: Urinary retention[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Pruritus, giant urticaria, angioneurotic edema, laryngeal edema
Frequency not reported: Hypersensitivity reactions (pruritus, urticaria)
Frequency not reported: Fixed drug eruptions[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Rash
Frequency not reported: Rash
Frequency not reported: Fixed drug eruption in the form of erythematous nodular patches, rash[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Visual disturbances
Frequency not reported: Angle-closure glaucoma
Frequency not reported: Euphoria, dysphoria, transient hallucination, disorientation
Frequency not reported: Hallucinations (particularly in children), anxiety, excitability, insomnia
Respiratory depression has been associated with antitussive use of codeine in young children. Respiratory depression and death have occurred in children who received codeine in the postoperative period following tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy. Further investigation has shown these patients to be ultra-rapid metabolizers of codeine. Children with obstructive sleep apnea who are treated with codeine appear to be particularly sensitive to the respiratory depressant effects of codeine.
Frequency not reported: Respiratory depression
1. Covington TR, Lawson LC, Young LL, eds. "Handbook of Nonprescription Drugs. 10th ed." Washington, DC: American Pharmaceutical Association (1993):
2. "Product Information. Robitussin (guaifenesin)." Wyeth-Ayerst Laboratories, Philadelphia, PA.
3. de Groot AC, Conemans J "Allergic urticarial rash from oral codeine." Contact Dermatitis 14 (1986): 209-14
4. Gill ND, Shield A, Blazevich AJ, Zhou S, Weatherby RP "Muscular and cardiorespiratory effects of pseudoephedrine in human athletes." Br J Clin Pharmacol 50 (2000): 205-13
5. "Product Information. Robitussin-DAC Syrup (codeine/guaifenesin/PSE)" Whitehall-Robins, Madison, NJ.
6. Gordon RD, Ballantine DM, Bachmann AW "Effects of repeated doses of pseudoephedrine on blood pressure and plasma catecholamines in normal subjects and in patients with phaeochromocytoma." Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 19 (1992): 287-90
7. Mores N, Campia U, Navarra P, Cardillo C, Preziosi P "No cardiovascular effects of single-dose pseudoephedrine in patients with essential hypertension treated with beta-blockers." Eur J Clin Pharmacol 55 (1999): 251-4
8. Dowd J, Bailey D, Moussa K, Nair S, Doyle R, CulpepperMorgan JA "Ischemic colitis associated with pseudoephedrine: Four cases." Am J Gastroenterol 94 (1999): 2430-4
9. Tomb RR, Lepoittevin JP, Espinassouze F, Heid E, Foussereau J "Systemic contact dermatitis from pseudoephedrine." Contact Dermatitis 24 (1991): 86-8
10. Vidal C, Prieto A, PerezCarral C, Armisen M "Nonpigmenting fixed drug eruption due to pseudoephedrine." Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 80 (1998): 309-10
11. Quan MB, Chow WC "Nonpigmenting fixed drug eruption after pseudoephedrine." Int J Dermatol 35 (1996): 367-70
12. Shelley WB, Shelley ED "Nonpigmenting fixed drug eruption as a distinctive reaction pattern: examples caused by sensitivity to pseudoephedrine hydrochloride and tetrahydrozoline." J Am Acad Dermatol 17 (1987): 403-7
13. Camisa C "Fixed drug eruption due to pseudoephedrine." Cutis 41 (1988): 339-40
14. Gonzalogarijo MA, Revengaarranz F "Fixed drug eruption due to codeine." Br J Dermatol 135 (1996): 498-9
15. Hunskaar S, Dragsund S "Scarlatiniform rash and urticaria due to codeine." Ann Allergy 54 (1985): 240-1
It is possible that some side effects of Ryna-CX may not have been reported. These can be reported to the FDA here. Always consult a healthcare professional for medical advice.
More about Ryna-CX (codeine / guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: upper respiratory combinations
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.