Ridactate Side Effects
Generic Name: calcium lactate
Note: This document contains side effect information about calcium lactate. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Ridactate.
For the Consumer
Applies to calcium lactate: oral capsule, oral tablet
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad constipation.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Feeling confused.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Stomach pain.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to calcium lactate: compounding powder, oral tablet
When calcium is administered for prolonged periods, hypercalcemia and hypercalciuria may result. These conditions are more likely in patients with hypoparathyroidism who are also receiving large amounts of milk. Signs and symptoms of hypercalcemia include anorexia, nausea, vomiting, constipation, abdominal pain, dry mouth, and thirst.[Ref]
Gastrointestinal side effects have been reported rarely. They have included nausea and constipation.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Calphosan (calcium lactate)." Glenwood Inc, Tenafly, NJ.
2. Edelson GW, Kleerekoper M "Hypercalcemic crisis." Med Clin North Am 79 (1995): 79-92
3. Fordtran JS "Acid rebound." N Engl J Med 279 (1968): 900-5
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Ridactate (calcium lactate)
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- Drug class: minerals and electrolytes
Other brands: Cal-Lac