Periactin Side Effects
Generic Name: cyproheptadine
Note: This document contains side effect information about cyproheptadine. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Periactin.
For the Consumer
Applies to cyproheptadine: oral solution, oral tablets
Side effects include:
Sedation, sleepiness (often transient), dizziness, disturbed coordination, restlessness, excitation.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to cyproheptadine: compounding powder, oral syrup, oral tablet
Nervous system side effects have commonly included central nervous system (CNS) depression, typically resulting in drowsiness and sedation. These effects have often been transient and often ceased with continued use. Motor skills have been be impaired. Infrequently, confusion, restlessness, nervousness, tremor, convulsions, and hallucinations have occurred.[Ref]
The effect of cyproheptadine (the active ingredient contained in Periactin) on weight gain has been studied in patients in whom weight gain would be beneficial, such as those suffering from anorexia nervosa. In healthy, thin individuals, weight gain of 4 kg in 56 days has been reported with a dosage of 12 mg orally per day.[Ref]
Other side effects have included weight gain. The mechanism of action is not known but appears to be related to appetite stimulation, although a decrease in physical activity resulting from the sedative effect of the drug may contribute to a small degree.[Ref]
Ocular side effects have included blurred vision, diplopia, and dry eyes, due to the anticholinergic activity of the drug.[Ref]
Genitourinary side effects have included urinary retention, urinary frequency and dysuria probably resulting from cyproheptadine (the active ingredient contained in Periactin) s anticholinergic activity.[Ref]
1. Watemberg NM, Roth KS, Alehan FK, Epstein CE "Central anticholinergic syndrome on therapeutic doses of cyproheptadine." Pediatrics 103 (1999): 158-60
2. Wortsman J, Soler NG, Hirschowitz J "Side effects of cyproheptadine ." Br Med J 1 (1978): 1217
3. Berger M, White J, Travis LB, Brouhard BH, Cunningham RJ 3d, Patnode R, Petrusick T "Toxic psychosis due to cyproheptadine in a child on hemodialysis: a case report." Clin Nephrol 7 (1977): 43-4
4. Silverstone T, Schuyler D "The effect of cyproheptadine on hunger, calorie intake and body weight in man." Psychopharmacologia 40 (1975): 335-40
5. "Product Information. Periactin (cyproheptadine)." Merck & Co, Inc, West Point, PA.
6. Stiel JN, Liddle GW, Lacy WW "Studies of mechanism of cyproheptadine-induced weight gain in human subjects." Metabolism 19 (1970): 192-200
7. Noble RE "Effect of cyproheptadine on appetite and weight gain in adults." JAMA 209 (1969): 2054-5
8. Larrey D, Geneve J, Pessayre D, Machayekhi JP, Degott C, Benhamou JP "Prolonged cholestasis after cyproheptadine-induced acute hepatitis." J Clin Gastroenterol 9 (1987): 102-4
9. Henry DA, Lowe JM, Donnelly T "Jaundice during cyproheptadine treatment." Br Med J 1 (1978): 753
10. Karkalas Y, Lal H "Jaundice following therapy with imipramine and cyproheptadine." Clin Toxicol 4 (1971): 47-53
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Periactin (cyproheptadine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 57 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antihistamines