Glycerin Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to glycerin: rectal enema, rectal suppository
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Bleeding from rectum or rectal pain.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to glycerin: compounding liquid, oral solution, rectal enema, rectal suppository
Gastrointestinal side effects associated with rectal administration have included rectal discomfort, irritation, burning or griping, cramping pain, tenesmus, abdominal discomfort, and diarrhea. Hyperemia of the rectal mucosa with minimal amounts of hemorrhage and mucus discharge has been reported.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Pedia-Lax Liquid (glycerin)." Fleet, CB, Lynchburg, VA.
2. CHURCH G "Evacuant suppositories; a comparison of dulcolax and glycerine." Scott Med J 4 (1959): 94-5
3. Bulmer M, Hartley J, Lee PW, Duthie GS, Monson JR "Improving the view in the rectal clinic: a randomised control trial." Ann R Coll Surg Engl 82 (2000): 210-2
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about glycerin
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 10 Reviews
- Drug class: laxatives