Giltuss Children's EX Expectorant Side Effects
Generic name: guaifenesin
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 3, 2023.
Note: This document contains side effect information about guaifenesin. Some dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Giltuss Children's EX Expectorant.
Applies to guaifenesin: oral liquid, oral packet, oral solution, oral syrup, oral tablet, oral tablet extended release 12 hour.
Serious side effects
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Cough that does not go away.
Other side effects
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to guaifenesin: compounding powder, oral capsule, oral capsule extended release, oral granule, oral liquid, oral solution, oral tablet, oral tablet extended release.
Gastrointestinal side effects have included stomach upset and vomiting with higher than recommended doses. Doses recommended for expectoration have rarely been associated with gastrointestinal upset.[Ref]
Dermatologic side effects have included rare reports of rash.[Ref]
Frequently asked questions
- Does Mucinex help with Covid?
- Does Mucinex help you get pregnant?
- What is the dose for an adult for Robitussin DM? How many times a day?
More about Giltuss Children's EX Expectorant (guaifenesin)
- Compare alternatives
- Latest FDA alerts (4)
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: expectorants
Related treatment guides
1. Covington TR, eds., Lawson LC, Young LL. Handbook of Nonprescription Drugs. Washington, DC: American Pharmaceutical Association. 1993.
2. Product Information. Robitussin (guaifenesin). Wyeth-Ayerst Laboratories. 2001.
3. Manujendra R, Faltay B, Haller NA. Case report: anaphylactic reaction to guaifenesin. Hosp Pract. 2009;37:60-3.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.