Diurex Side Effects
Generic name: caffeine / magnesium salicylate
Note: This document contains side effect information about caffeine / magnesium salicylate. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Diurex.
Nervous system side effects associated with caffeine consumption have included central nervous system stimulation such as irritability, restlessness, and jitteriness. Tinnitus and subjective hearing loss (or both) may occur with salicylate. Some investigators have reported that modest doses may result in decreased frequency selectivity and may therefore impair hearing performance, particularly in the setting of background noise.[Ref]
Other side effects have included Reye's syndrome with salicylate use in children with an acute viral illness. Reye's syndrome has also been reported even more rarely in adults.[Ref]
In general, consumption of higher doses of caffeine (less than 600 mg/day) has been reported to have lead to caffeinism. Caffeinism is a syndrome characterized by anxiety, restlessness, and sleep disorders (similar to anxiety states). It has also been reported that chronic, heavy caffeine ingestion may be associated with depression. Caffeine may cause anxiety and panic in panic disorder patients and may aggravate premenstrual syndrome (PMS).[Ref]
Renal side effects associated with caffeine consumption have included increased urine flow rate, creatinine clearance, and sodium and calcium excretion.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Cafcit (caffeine)" Roxane Laboratories Inc, Columbus, OH.
2. Boettcher FA, Salvi RJ "Salicylate ototoxicity: review and synthesis." Am J Otolaryngol 12 (1991): 33-47
3. Thomas J, Straus WL, Bloom BS "Over-the-counter nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and risk of gastrointestinal symptoms." Am J Gastroenterol 97 (2002): 2215-9
4. Lanas A, Serrano P, Bajador E, Esteva F, Benito R, Sainz R "Evidence of aspirin use in both upper and lower gastrointestinal perforation." Gastroenterology 112 (1997): 683-9
5. "Product Information. Bayer aspirin (aspirin)." Bayer, West Haven, CT.
6. Belay ED, Bresee JS, Holman RC, Khan AS, Shahriari A, Schonberger LB "Reye's syndrome in the United States from 1981 through 1997." N Engl J Med 340 (1999): 1377-82
7. Sondermeijer H, van Marle A, Kamen P, Krum H "Acute effects of caffeine on heart rate variability." Am J Cardiol 90 (2002): 906
8. Hartley TR, Lovallo WR, Whitsett TL "Cardiovascular effects of caffeine in men and women." Am J Cardiol 93 (2004): 1022-6
9. Sawynok J "Pharmacological rationale for the clinical use of caffeine." Drugs 49 (1995): 37-50
10. Clementz GL, Dailey JW "Psychotropic effects of caffeine." Am Fam Physician 37 (1988): 167-72
More about Diurex (caffeine / magnesium salicylate)
Related treatment guides
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.