Diurex Side Effects
Generic Name: caffeine / magnesium salicylate
Note: This document contains side effect information about caffeine / magnesium salicylate. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Diurex.
Applies to caffeine / magnesium salicylate: oral tablet
Nervous system side effects associated with caffeine consumption have included central nervous system stimulation such as irritability, restlessness, and jitteriness. Tinnitus and subjective hearing loss (or both) may occur with salicylate. Some investigators have reported that modest doses may result in decreased frequency selectivity and may therefore impair hearing performance, particularly in the setting of background noise.[Ref]
Gastrointestinal side effects of both caffeine and salicylate have included epigastric distress, abdominal discomfort or pain, nausea, and vomiting.[Ref]
Other side effects have included Reye's syndrome with salicylate use in children with an acute viral illness. Reye's syndrome has also been reported even more rarely in adults.[Ref]
Cardiovascular side effects associated with caffeine products have rarely included tachycardia, increased left ventricular output, and increased stroke volume.[Ref]
In general, consumption of higher doses of caffeine (less than 600 mg/day) has been reported to have lead to caffeinism. Caffeinism is a syndrome characterized by anxiety, restlessness, and sleep disorders (similar to anxiety states). It has also been reported that chronic, heavy caffeine ingestion may be associated with depression. Caffeine may cause anxiety and panic in panic disorder patients and may aggravate premenstrual syndrome (PMS).[Ref]
Renal side effects associated with caffeine consumption have included increased urine flow rate, creatinine clearance, and sodium and calcium excretion.[Ref]
Respiratory side effects of salicylates have included bronchospastic reactions. Nonacetylated salicylates rarely cause reactions even in susceptible people when very large doses are given.
Hypersensitivity side effects of magnesium salicylate include severe allergic reactions which may include hives, facial swelling, asthma, and shock.
1. "Product Information. Cafcit (caffeine)" Roxane Laboratories Inc, Columbus, OH.
2. Boettcher FA, Salvi RJ "Salicylate ototoxicity: review and synthesis." Am J Otolaryngol 12 (1991): 33-47
3. Thomas J, Straus WL, Bloom BS "Over-the-counter nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and risk of gastrointestinal symptoms." Am J Gastroenterol 97 (2002): 2215-9
4. Lanas A, Serrano P, Bajador E, Esteva F, Benito R, Sainz R "Evidence of aspirin use in both upper and lower gastrointestinal perforation." Gastroenterology 112 (1997): 683-9
5. "Product Information. Bayer aspirin (aspirin)." Bayer, West Haven, CT.
6. Belay ED, Bresee JS, Holman RC, Khan AS, Shahriari A, Schonberger LB "Reye's syndrome in the United States from 1981 through 1997." N Engl J Med 340 (1999): 1377-82
7. Sondermeijer H, van Marle A, Kamen P, Krum H "Acute effects of caffeine on heart rate variability." Am J Cardiol 90 (2002): 906
8. Hartley TR, Lovallo WR, Whitsett TL "Cardiovascular effects of caffeine in men and women." Am J Cardiol 93 (2004): 1022-6
9. Clementz GL, Dailey JW "Psychotropic effects of caffeine." Am Fam Physician 37 (1988): 167-72
10. Sawynok J "Pharmacological rationale for the clinical use of caffeine." Drugs 49 (1995): 37-50
Some side effects of Diurex may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA.
More about Diurex (caffeine / magnesium salicylate)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: analgesic combinations
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.