Diphenhydramine / naproxen Side Effects
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jan 4, 2021.
For the Consumer
- This drug may raise the risk of heart and blood vessel problems like heart attack and stroke. These effects can be deadly. The risk may be greater if you have heart disease or risks for heart disease. However, it can also be raised even if you do not have heart disease or risks for heart disease. The risk can happen within the first weeks of using this drug and may be greater with higher doses or long-term use. Do not use this drug right before or after bypass heart surgery.
- This drug may raise the chance of severe and sometimes deadly stomach or bowel problems like ulcers or bleeding. The risk is greater in older people, and in people who have had stomach or bowel ulcers or bleeding before. These problems may occur without warning signs.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Signs of bleeding like throwing up or coughing up blood; vomit that looks like coffee grounds; blood in the urine; black, red, or tarry stools; bleeding from the gums; abnormal vaginal bleeding; bruises without a cause or that get bigger; or bleeding you cannot stop.
- Shortness of breath, a big weight gain, or swelling in the arms or legs.
- Chest pain or pressure or a fast heartbeat.
- Weakness on 1 side of the body, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, drooping on one side of the face, or blurred eyesight.
- Very bad headache.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Ringing in ears.
- Mood changes.
- Low mood (depression).
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Very bad back pain.
- Not able to pass urine or change in how much urine is passed.
- If it feels like the caplet is stuck in your throat.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Stomach pain or heartburn.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Feeling sleepy.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to diphenhydramine / naproxen: oral tablet
The manufacturer has not provided adverse event information.[Ref]
More about diphenhydramine / naproxen
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- 37 Reviews
- Drug class: analgesic combinations
- Other brands
- Aleve PM
Related treatment guides
1. "Product Information. Naprosyn (naproxen)." Syntex Laboratories Inc, Palo Alto, CA.
2. "Product Information. Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride-Naproxen Sodium (diphenhydramine-naproxen)." Amneal Pharmaceuticals LLC, Bridgewater, NJ.
3. "Product Information. Benadryl (diphenhydramine)." Parke-Davis, Morris Plains, NJ.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.