Cromolyn Side Effects
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 25, 2020.
For the Consumer
Applies to cromolyn: inhalation solution
Other dosage forms:
Side effects requiring immediate medical attention
Along with its needed effects, cromolyn may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur while taking cromolyn:
- Difficulty in swallowing
- increased wheezing or difficulty in breathing
- itching of skin
- low blood pressure
- shortness of breath
- swelling of face, lips, or eyelids
- tightness in chest
Side effects not requiring immediate medical attention
Some side effects of cromolyn may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- throat irritation or dryness
If you are using the cromolyn inhalation aerosol, you may notice an unpleasant taste. This may be expected and will go away when you stop using the medicine.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to cromolyn: compounding powder, inhalation aerosol with adapter, inhalation solution, nasal spray, oral capsule, oral solution
Adverse reactions following use of this drug are rare; headache and diarrhea have been reported following oral use, while cough, nasal congestion, sneezing and wheezing have been reported with oral inhalation.[Ref]
Postmarketing reports: Anemia[Ref]
Rare (less than 0.1%): Pruritus, rash
Postmarketing reports: Photodermatitis, exfoliative dermatitis[Ref]
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Abdominal pain, nausea,
Postmarketing reports: Swollen parotid gland[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Abnormal hepatic function test[Ref]
Rare (less than 0.1%): Myalgia
Frequency not reported: Arthralgia, stiffness/weakness of legs, lupus erythematosus syndrome
Postmarketing reports: Joint swelling and pain, polymyositis[Ref]
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Headache
Frequency not reported: Fatigue, malaise, tinnitus
Postmarketing reports: Lacrimation[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Cromolyn Sodium (cromolyn (sodium cromoglycate))." Teva Pharmaceuticals (formerly IVAX), Miami, FL.
2. "Product Information. Gastrocrom (cromolyn (sodium cromoglycate))." Celltech Pharmaceuticals Inc, Rochester, NY.
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
4. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
More about cromolyn
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- 20 Reviews
- Drug class: mast cell stabilizers
- Patient Information
- Cromolyn sodium inhalation
- Cromolyn (Advanced Reading)
- Cromolyn Inhalation, oral/nebulization (Advanced Reading)
- Cromolyn (Oral Inhalation)
- ... +2 more
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.