User Reviews for Cromolyn

Also known as: Gastrocrom

Cromolyn has an average rating of 7.7 out of 10 from a total of 20 ratings on Drugs.com. 61% of those users who reviewed Cromolyn reported a positive effect, while 11% reported a negative effect.

Asthma, Maintenance
Systemic Mastocytosis
6.4
Inflammatory Bowel Disease
6.5
Summary of Cromolyn reviews 7.7 20 reviews

Reviews for Cromolyn

MSAS2021 · Taken for less than 1 month March 24, 2021

For Systemic Mastocytosis: “I experienced a severe and lengthy (over 8 hours!) food reaction my second day on this medication taking only one - half vial two times daily 30 minutes before a meal; along with severe migraines, persistent nausea, sinus pain, congestion, itching, edema, extreme fatigue... flu-like symptoms - for four days. I had to stop taking it. I’m very frustrated and disappointed.”

BPW March 22, 2021

For Inflammatory Bowel Disease: “I just started taking Cromolyn but it has been compounded with Ketotifen in a 200mg/3mg mixture/capsule. I dissolve it warm water and then take it at bedtime. As the above reviewer mentioned, I also experience intense fatigue/sleepiness the entire next day. I want to keep taking this med in hopes it will help my intestinal symptoms but I can barely function during the day. Perhaps my body will adapt? Or maybe it's just not a good fit for me...”

Merry 50 · Taken for less than 1 month March 19, 2021

For Inflammatory Bowel Disease: “On my second attempt to take this medication for possible mast cell activation disorder. First time around crushing fatigue and sleepiness lasting all day! Now on day 4, only taking half an ampule (50mg) before bed, but still with almost debilitating fatigue and sleepiness. This is not listed as a side effect. I'm not sure why it's affecting me this way. It is helping my abdominal pain and cramping even on this low dose, also notice no intermittent constipation and decreased swelling in my body. Anyone else with side effects of severe fatigue?”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 4, 2021

Gastrocrom (cromolyn) for Systemic Mastocytosis: “Had to reduce to 3x a day every 6 hrs, to 2 x a day severe headaches and uneasy feelings in stomach and some nausea and diarrhea not as often but still awful . I'm reducing to 1x a day will get off of it after 2-3 years on it. It did not do much as I live in hot climate inflammation everywhere saw no real diff. I have Idolent systemic Mastocytosis for 3 decades if I get worse after stopping I'll take it again everyone is different . Hope this helps someone as there isn't much info since the 90’s”

ClairesMom · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 27, 2017

For Systemic Mastocytosis: “My daughter has been using this for her Mast Cell Activation Disorder (MCAD) since 2010, and it is a miracle! She gained 30 pounds in 6 months because she was finally able to absorb her food, thanks to the Gastrocrom. She is on a lot of different medications, but Gastrocrom was the one that finally tied everything together and started her on stable path.”

Barbie222 January 7, 2016

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I love this cromolyn sodium inhaler. It has hardly any side effects and it really made my asthma stay under control. That symbicort,advair and other steroid drugs effected me pretty badly. If I stop it. It made my asthma worse than before I used it. I am afraid of it. Why was the cromolyn sodium inhaler taken away from us???? Because it was too safe for us!!!!!”

Alison3 January 20, 2010

Intal Inhaler (cromolyn) for Asthma, Maintenance: “I used Intal for 25 years to control my asthma and it worked wonderfully. I never had problems. Since it has been discontinued, I am on Symbicort and Singulair and my health is unstable. I seem to suffer from every side effect of Symbicort. I wish someone would start making Intal again.”

JM · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 16, 2018

For Systemic Mastocytosis: “This has been a great Rx for me in controlling my Medium-chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase (MCAD) deficiency symptoms. The main one it has controlled is the stomach troubles. One thing I do notice is, when I started and whenever I increase my dosage I get a terrible stomach ache. This only lasts for the first couple days though and then it subsides. Good luck to you.”

Macho March 2, 2008

Intal Inhaler (cromolyn) for Asthma, Maintenance: “The Intal inhaler has worked the best for me. If using other inhalers take them first and then take Intal. Intal, I believe covers the mast cels, not allowing them to release histamine. It certainly is the best product of the inhalers. Those who have pure asthma must take Intal on a schedule which will stop or cut down on their asthma attacka. It seems Intal has been taken off the market and I have a poor quality of life because of it.”

ClaudiaNYC June 26, 2015

Intal Inhaler (cromolyn) for Asthma, Maintenance: “I use Chromolyn Sodium in my nebulizer, and it is a LIFE SAVER. I wish I could try the Intal inhaler, since it's not convenient to use a nebulizer everyday and when I travel. But for now, I will continue to use Chromolyn Sodium. I can't live without it.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more May 19, 2018

Intal Inhaler (cromolyn) for Asthma, Maintenance: “I have taken Intal for 25 years with no negative side affects. I have severe respiratory distress from exposure to diesel fuel fumes and many other pollutants. My Intal Inhaler stops the reaction within a matter of minutes. Every other product I have used caused severe side effects.”

Essie Bee · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 8, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance: “On my pharmacist recommendation, I started taking over-the-counter NasalCrom for my nasal allergies. It worked so well, that I wondered if it would help my allergy induced asthma also, and asked my doctor about it. I've been taking cromolyn by nebulizer for two years now, and have never had an another asthma attack. I finally have my life back!”

BeataW October 4, 2011

Intal (cromolyn) for Asthma, Maintenance: “I used Intal for 20 years and I believe it stabilized my asthma attacks (I am allergic to dogs). Recently I had to use when on trip to Europe and when I get back to Canada I realized that they discontinued the capsules whatsoever. I will be trying nebulizer. ”

sam scully · Taken for less than 1 month October 20, 2014

Intal (cromolyn) for Asthma, Maintenance: “When I was a kid I had extremely severe 'hayfever' and it continued into my 20's when a doctor prescribed nasal Intal. It cured me. Now in my 60's I've recently developed asthma. It seemed that the cold aggravated it, even the cold in the frozen food sections of supermarkets. I'm on Ventolin and that is okay. I was prescribed Symbicort, (both powder and aerosol spray) but my throat ulcerated so now have been prescribed Intal 2 puffs twice a day. I'm hoping this will work as good as it did for my 'hay-fever'!”

Irro334 August 1, 2013

Gastrocrom (cromolyn) for Systemic Mastocytosis: “This has been a great medication and has made me feel much better. If you take too much at one time it can upset your stomach. ”

Anonymous March 26, 2010

Intal Inhaler (cromolyn) for Asthma, Maintenance: “Intal is the one drug that brought my asthma under control, in 1974, when I was 18 years old. It pains me to know that I now must buy it from sources outside of North America.”

Anonymous April 2, 2009

Intal Inhaler (cromolyn) for Asthma, Maintenance: “Intal is currently available as a CFC-free inhaler from Sanofi Aventis. I have taken it for 40 years. It has no side effects and helps you to get through colds very quickly.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 19, 2017

For Systemic Mastocytosis: “My abdominal discomfort & diarrhea improved some. However I've had much more flatulence, rash, & edema (even in cold winter weather).”

nickim April 19, 2016

Gastrocrom (cromolyn) for Systemic Mastocytosis: “This drug did not work for me. It was bothersome to take as you had to remember to take it 30 minutes before each meal.”

Anonymous September 17, 2009

Intal (cromolyn) for Asthma, Maintenance: “I used Intal for some time, about a year. It didn't really help me”