Cefizox Side Effects
Generic Name: ceftizoxime
Note: This document contains side effect information about ceftizoxime. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Cefizox.
Applies to ceftizoxime: injectable powder for injection, intravenous solution
Adverse effects may be more likely or more severe in patients with renal and/or liver dysfunction.[Ref]
Ceftizoxime is generally well-tolerated.[Ref]
A case of occupational contact dermatitis due to cephalosporin allergy has been reported in a nurse who prepared cephalosporin solutions for administration to patients. The dermatitis resolved after the nurse stopped preparing the solutions.[Ref]
Hypersensitivity reactions including rash, pruritus, and fever have been reported in 1% to 5% of patients. Numbness and anaphylaxis have been reported in less than 1% of patients. Cephalosporin class antibiotics have been associated with anaphylaxis, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, erythema multiforme, and toxic epidermal necrolysis.[Ref]
Gastrointestinal side effects have included diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting in less than 1% of patients. Pseudomembranous colitis has been reported in patients treated with cephalosporins. If diarrhea occurs and is unresponsive to discontinuation of the drug and/or standard therapy, pseudomembranous colitis should be considered.[Ref]
Hematologic side effects have included transient eosinophilia, thrombocytosis, and positive Coombs' test in 1% to 5% of patients. Anemia, including occasionally fatal hemolytic anemia, leukopenia, neutropenia, and thrombocytopenia have been reported in less than 1% of patients. Cephalosporins as a class have been associated with aplastic anemia, hemolytic anemia, prolonged prothrombin time, hemorrhage, neutropenia, pancytopenia, and agranulocytosis.[Ref]
Renal side effects have included transient elevations of BUN and creatinine (less than 1%). Interstitial nephritis has been reported with some cephalosporins, and presents as reversible fever, azotemia, pyuria, and eosinophiluria. Cephalosporins as a class have been associated with renal dysfunction and toxic nephropathy.[Ref]
Hepatic side effects have included transient elevation of AST, ALT, and alkaline phosphatase in 1% to 5% of patients, and bilirubin increases in less than 1%. Cephalosporins as a class have been associated with hepatic dysfunction including cholestasis.[Ref]
Genitourinary side effects have included vaginitis (less than 1%).[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Cefizox (ceftizoxime)." Fujisawa, Deerfield, IL.
2. Filipe P, Almeida RSLS, Rodrigo FG "Occupational allergic contact dermatitis from cephalosporins." Contact Dermatitis 34 (1996): 226
3. Romano A, Mayorga C, Torres MJ, Artesani MC, Suau R, Sanchez F, Perez E, Venuti A, Blanca M "Immediate allergic reactions to cephalosporins: Cross-reactivity and selective responses." J Allerg Clin Immunol 106 (2000): 1177-83
4. Neu HC "Ceftizoxime: a beta-lactamase-stable, broad-spectrum cephalosporin." Pharmacotherapy 4 (1984): 47-60
5. Tripi M, Pavone-Macaluso M, Giammanco A, Carella G "Randomized comparative trial with ceftizoxime and cefotaxime in urinary tract infections." Int Urol Nephrol 17 (1985): 195-202
6. Toll LL, Lee M, Sharifi R "Cefoxitin-induced interstitial nephritis." South Med J 80 (1987): 274-5
7. Haskell RJ, Fujita NK, Stevenson JA, Border WA "Cefoxitin-induced interstitial nephritis." Arch Intern Med 141 (1981): 1557
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Cefizox (ceftizoxime)
- Cefizox Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: third generation cephalosporins