Biofreeze Side Effects
Generic Name: menthol topical
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 25, 2020.
Note: This document contains side effect information about menthol topical. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Biofreeze.
For the Consumer
Applies to menthol topical: external aerosol, external aerosol powder, external cream, external gel, external kit, external liquid, external lotion, external patch, external solution
Other dosage forms:
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad skin irritation.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Skin irritation.
- Burning or stinging feeling. Most of the time, this will go away after a few days.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to menthol topical: compounding crystal, mucous membrane lozenge, topical cream, topical film, topical foam, topical gel, topical liquid, topical lotion, topical pad, topical powder, topical spray, topical stick
Frequency not reported: Hypersensitivity[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Glossodynia, oral discomfort[Ref]
1. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
More about Biofreeze (menthol topical)
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review
- Drug class: topical rubefacient
- FDA Alerts (1)
- Other brands
- Aspercreme Pain Relieving Heat Gel, Flexall, Icy Hot Extra Strength, Luden's Honey Lemon Throat Drops, ... +13 more
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.