BACiiM Side Effects
Generic name: bacitracin
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on April 26, 2021.
Note: This document contains side effect information about bacitracin. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name BACiiM.
For the Consumer
Applies to bacitracin: parenteral powder for injection
- May cause renal failure due to tubular and glomerular necrosis.104 137
- Restrict use to infants with pneumonia and empyema caused by susceptible staphylococci.104 137 Use only when adequate laboratory facilities available and constant supervision of the patient is possible.104 137
- Determine renal function prior to and daily during therapy.104 137 Do not exceed recommended daily dosage.104 137 Maintain fluid intake and urinary output at proper levels to avoid renal toxicity.104 137
- Discontinue if renal toxicity occurs.104 137 Avoid concomitant use with other nephrotoxic drugs, particularly aminoglycosides (kanamycin, neomycin, streptomycin), polymyxin B, colistin (commercially available in US as colistimethate), and vancomycin.104 137
Side effects include:
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to bacitracin: compounding powder, intramuscular powder for injection
Frequency not reported: Nephrotoxic reactions (including albuminuria, cylindruria, azotemia)[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Rising blood levels with no increase in dose[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Nausea, vomiting[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Injection site pain[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Skin rashes[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Bacitracin (bacitracin)." Pharmacia and Upjohn, Kalamazoo, MI.
More about BACiiM (bacitracin)
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- Drug class: miscellaneous antibiotics
Related treatment guides
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.