How does Trulicity work?
Medically reviewed by Carmen Fookes, BPharm. Last updated on Oct 6, 2020.
- Trulicity mimics the action of GLP-1, a naturally occurring hormone that helps to regulate blood glucose levels.
- It binds to GLP-1 receptors, stimulating insulin secretion and lowering glucagon secretion from the liver. It also slows stomach emptying.
- Trulicity is given by subcutaneous injection, once a week.
Trulicity (dulaglutide) mimics the action of GLP-1, a naturally occurring hormone that helps to regulate blood glucose levels. It may be used to treat type 2 diabetes in adults and to reduce the risk of major adverse cardiovascular events (such as a heart attack or stroke) in adults with type 2 diabetes who already have cardiovascular disease or are at high risk of cardiovascular disease.
Trulicity contains 90% of the same amino acid sequence as naturally occurring GLP-1. This enables it to bind to and activate GLP-1 receptors, which stimulates insulin secretion and lowers glucagon secretion when blood glucose levels are high. It also causes a slowing down in how fast the stomach empties.
Trulicity is given by subcutaneous (under the skin) injection into your stomach, thighs, or upper arm, once a week and may be used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. Trulicity does not work for type 1 diabetes.
Trulicity is not a form of insulin. It relies on people still having some functioning beta cells – these are the cells in the pancreas that produce, store, and release insulin.
Trulicity belongs to the class of medicines known as GLP-1 receptor agonists. It may also be called an incretin mimetic.
- Trulicity (dulaglutide) Lilly Feb 2020 https://www.drugs.com/pro/trulicity.html
- Trulicity (dulaglutide) Approved to Reduce Cardiovascular Events in Adults With and Without Established Cardiovascular Disease Feb 21 2020 Drugs.com News https://www.drugs.com/newdrugs/trulicity-dulaglutide-approved-reduce-cardiovascular-events-adults-without-established-5358.html
Related Medical Questions
- Does Trulicity cause weight loss?
- Does Trulicity need to be refrigerated?
- Can Trulicity be used with insulin?
- Can Trulicity be injected cold?
- How do you use/inject Trulicity?
- Is Trulicity a form of insulin?
- Does dulaglutide cause weight loss?
- What is dulaglutide used for and how does it work?