Can Trulicity be injected cold?
Medically reviewed by Carmen Fookes, BPharm. Last updated on Sep 14, 2020.
- Yes, you can give Trulicity cold but it is more likely to sting.
- Allow Trulicity at least 30 minutes to warm up to room temperature beforehand to make receiving the injection much more pleasant.
- A Trulicity pen may be left unrefrigerated for a maximum of 14 days, as long as it is kept at room temperature (less than 86°F (30°C) and not exposed to light or a heat source.
All injectable medications will sting when they are administered if they are taken straight from a cold refrigerator and not allowed to warm up for at least 30 minutes.
The best way to warm them up is to leave them sitting on a bench. A microwave oven, boiling water, or a stove should never be used because this may ruin the medicine.
You can also place the injection between your hands to speed the warming process up; however, be careful not to drop or damage the pen in any way.
Trulicity (dulaglutide) is given by subcutaneous injection, once a week, and may be used to treat type 2 diabetes in adults or to reduce the risk of major adverse cardiovascular events (such as a heart attack or stroke) in adults with type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease or at high risk of cardiovascular disease. The starting dose is usually 0.75mg once a week which may be increased to a maximum of 4.5mg once weekly if needed.
Trulicity may be administered at any time of the day; however, the day of the week should be kept as consistent as possible. It may help to mark on your calendar what day you normally inject yourself with Trulicity.
Trulicity should be injected subcutaneously (under the skin) in the abdomen, thigh, or upper arm. Your doctor or nurse should show you how to use the Trulicity single-dose pen before you attempt to self-administer it yourself.
This pen is single use only and contains one dose of Trulicity.
How do I give myself a Trulicity injection?
Trulicity should be kept refrigerated at between 36°F to 46°F (2°C to 8°C) until it needs to be administered.
Take your Trulicity Pen out of the refrigerator and let it warm up naturally to room temperature for 30 minutes. Do not put it in the microwave or use hot water to heat it. Do not shake the pen or remove the base cap just yet.
- Wash your hands with soap and water.
- Inspect the pen and make sure the liquid inside the pen looks clear and colorless. Do not use if the medicine is cloudy or discolored or contains particles. Also, check the expiry date located on the side of the pen and do not use if expired.
- Choose an injection site and wipe it with an alcohol wipe. Let it dry. Do not use a site where the skin is discolored, bruised, broken, covered with a psoriatic lesion, or has a rash. Change (rotate) your injection site each week.
- Make sure the indicator near the end of the pen points to locked. Pull the Trulicity base cap straight off. Do not touch the needle.
- Place the clear base of the pen flat and firmly against your skin on your chosen injection site at a 90° angle (straight up and down). Unlock by turning the lock ring.
- Once you are ready to inject, push down on the green injection button. You will hear a loud click. This will insert the needle and start the injection.
- Keep holding the pen against your skin until you hear a second click in about 5 to 10 seconds. You will know when your injection is complete when the gray plunger is visible.
- Remove the pen from your skin. Dispose of your Trulicity pen in an approved sharps bin. Do not put the cap back on the pen.
Each Trulicity pen is administered just one time only.
A Trulicity pen may be left unrefrigerated for a maximum of 14 days, as long as it is kept at room temperature (less than 86°F (30°C) and not exposed to light or a heat source.
If a Trulicity pen is not used within 14 days after being taken out of the fridge, throw it away in an approved sharps container.
The day of weekly administration can be changed if necessary as long as the last dose was administered 3 or more days before.
- Trulicity (dulaglutide) Lilly Feb 2020 https://www.drugs.com/pro/trulicity.html
- New to Trulicity? Start here. Lilly. https://www.trulicity.com/how-to-use/
- FDA Approves Additional Doses of Trulicity (dulaglutide) for the Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes 09/2020 https://www.drugs.com/newdrugs/fda-approves-additional-doses-trulicity-dulaglutide-type-2-diabetes-5346.html
- Trulicity (dulaglutide) Approved to Reduce Cardiovascular Events in Adults With and Without Established Cardiovascular Disease Feb 21 2020 Drugs.com News https://www.drugs.com/newdrugs/trulicity-dulaglutide-approved-reduce-cardiovascular-events-adults-without-established-5358.html
Related Medical Questions
- Does Trulicity cause weight loss?
- Does Trulicity need to be refrigerated?
- Can Trulicity be used with insulin?
- How does Trulicity work?
- How do you use/inject Trulicity?
- Is Trulicity a form of insulin?
- Does dulaglutide cause weight loss?
- What is dulaglutide used for and how does it work?