Does Trulicity need to be refrigerated?
Medically reviewed by Carmen Fookes, BPharm. Last updated on Oct 6, 2020.
- Trulicity should be stored in a refrigerator until you need to use it.
- Once Trulicity has been left out of a refrigerator for more than a half an hour, it should not be put back into a refrigerator.
- You can leave Trulicity out of a refrigerator for up to 14 days and still use it.
- If Trulicity has not been used within 14 days of being kept out of a refrigerator, it should be thrown away in a sharps container.
- Trulicity should be left to warm up for 30 minutes after taking out of the refrigerator before giving. This will make it less likely to sting.
Trulicity (dulaglutide) is an injectable medicine that may be used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes in adults. It may also be given to reduce the risk of major adverse cardiovascular events (such as a heart attack or stroke) occurring in adults with type 2 diabetes who already have cardiovascular disease or are at high risk of cardiovascular disease.
Trulicity mimics the action of GLP-1, a naturally occurring hormone that helps to regulate blood glucose levels. Trulicity should be kept refrigerated at between 36°F to 46°F (2°C to 8°C) until it needs to be administered.
Allow Trulicity at least 30 minutes to warm up to room temperature after taking it out of the refrigerator to make receiving the injection much more pleasant. The best way to warm it up is to leave it sitting on a bench. A microwave oven, boiling water, or a stove should never be used because this may ruin the medicine. You could also place the injection between your hands to warm up to speed the process up.
How long can Trulicity be left out of the refrigerator?
A Trulicity pen may be left unrefrigerated for a maximum of 14 days, as long as it is kept at room temperature (less than 86°F (30°C) and not exposed to light or a heat source.
If a Trulicity pen is not used within 14 days after being taken out of the fridge, throw it away in an approved sharps container.
- Trulicity (dulaglutide) Lilly Feb 2020 https://www.drugs.com/pro/trulicity.html
- New to Trulicity? Start here. Lilly. https://www.trulicity.com/how-to-use/
- Trulicity (dulaglutide) Approved to Reduce Cardiovascular Events in Adults With and Without Established Cardiovascular Disease Feb 21 2020 Drugs.com News https://www.drugs.com/newdrugs/trulicity-dulaglutide-approved-reduce-cardiovascular-events-adults-without-established-5358.html
Related Medical Questions
- Does Trulicity cause weight loss?
- Can Trulicity be used with insulin?
- How does Trulicity work?
- Can Trulicity be injected cold?
- How do you use/inject Trulicity?
- Is Trulicity a form of insulin?
- Does dulaglutide cause weight loss?
- What is dulaglutide used for and how does it work?