Who makes Imbruvica?
Medically reviewed by Carmen Fookes, BPharm. Last updated on July 7, 2020.
- Imbruvica is made by Pharmacyclics LLC which is a company that was acquired by AbbVie in 2015.
- Imbruvica is marketed by Abbive in the United States and by Janssen in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
The compound that was to later become known as Imbruvica was created by scientists at Celera Genomics as a compound for studying the function of the enzyme, Bruton tyrosine kinase (BTK).
In 2006, Pharmacyclics acquired the compound alongside a few other development programs, and renamed the compound PCI-32765.
In 2011 after the drug had completed Phase II trials, Pharmacyclics and Johnson & Johnson agreed to co-develop the drug, and J&J paid Pharmacyclics $150 million upfront and $825 million in milestones.
In 2015, Pharmacyclics was acquired by AbbVie in May 2015 for $21 million, and currently, Imbruvica is co-marketed by Janssen – a pharmaceutical company belonging to Johnson & Johnson; and Abbvie.
The Pharmacyclics name was retained, and it operates as a subsidiary of AbbVie from its previous Sunnyvale, California, headquarters.
Janssen markets Imbruvica in Europe, the Middle East and Africa and AbbVie markets it in the United States.
In 2018, Imbruvica generated a total of $5.6 billion for Janssen and AbbVie and is forecast to generate $11.9 billion in 2025.
- Imbruvica (ibrutinib) capsules [Package Insert] Pharmacyclics LLC, an AbbVie Company and Janssen Biotech, Inc https://www.drugs.com/pro/imbruvica.html
- Janssen and AbbVie’s Imbruvica earns approval in two new settings from the EC Pharmaceutical-Technology 08/2019 https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/comment/janssen-and-abbvie-imbruvica-2019/
Related Medical Questions
- How long can you stay on Imbruvica (ibrutinib)?
- Does ibrutinib cause hair loss?
- How much does Imbruvica cost?
- How quickly does Imbruvica (ibrutinib) work?
- Is Imbruvica a chemotherapy drug?
- What are the names of the BTK inhibitors?