How much does Imbruvica cost?
Medically reviewed by Carmen Fookes, BPharm Last updated on Apr 30, 2020.
Official Answerby Drugs.com
- Imbruvica costs $484 per capsule/tablet regardless of the strength (70mg, 140mg, 280mg, 420mg, 560mg).
- This works out to $13,546 for a supply of 28 tablets/capsules.
- However, most people will not have to pay this much because most insurance plans and Medicare cover the cost of this medicine.
- Copay assistance and support is also available through the YOU&I Support Program.
According to the Drugs.com price guide which bases its price on the Drugs.com discount card which is accepted at most U.S. pharmacies, the cost for Imbruvica 560mg is around $484 per tablet or $13,546 for a supply of 28 tablets depending on the pharmacy you visit. Prices are for cash paying customers only and are not valid with insurance plans.
The cost of all strengths of Imbruvica (70mg, 140mg, 280mg, 420mg, 560mg) is the same: $484 per tablet.
However, most people will not have to pay this cost with most insurance plans and 99% of Medicare Part D and Medicare Advantage plans covering this drug.
Copay assistance is also available under the YOU&I Support Program: Phone 1-877-877-3536 menu option 1, Monday to Friday 8 am-8 pm and Saturdays 8 am to 5 pm. This program also offers support and contact with a nurse who can answer your questions, help address treatment challenges, and provide drug and disease information.
People with commercial insurance may be able to get Imbruvica for as little as $10 per prescription.
What is the starting dose of Imbruvica?
The recommended starting dose for Imbruvica varies depending on the condition being treated, but examples include:
- Mantle cell lymphoma: 560mg once daily
- Marginal zone lymphoma: 560mg once daily
- Waldenstrom's macroglobulinemia: 420mg once daily
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia: 420mg once daily
- Small lymphocytic lymphoma: 420mg once daily
- Chronic graft-versus-host disease: 420mg once daily.
Dosages may need reducing if toxicities occur.
Imbruvica is usually given until disease progression or unacceptable toxicity occurs, or in the case of graft vs host disease, recurrence of an underlying malignancy.
What is Imbruvica?
Imbruvica (ibrutinib) is a cancer medicine that works by inhibiting the enzyme, Bruton tyrosine kinase (BTK), which is part of a crucial signaling pathway in certain cancers, especially B-cell leukemias and lymphomas.
By blocking this pathway Imbruvica triggers the death of cancer cells. Imbruvica may be used in the treatment of
- Mantle cell lymphoma
- Marginal zone lymphoma
- Waldenstrom's macroglobulinemia
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia
- Small lymphocytic lymphoma.
Imbruvica may also be used to treat chronic graft-versus-host disease.
- Imbruvica (ibrutinib) capsules [Package Insert] Pharmacyclics LLC, an AbbVie Company and Janssen Biotech, Inc https://www.drugs.com/pro/imbruvica.html
- You and I support program. Pharmacyclics LLC, an AbbVie Company and Janssen Biotech, Inc https://youandisupport.com/
Related Medical Questions
- What are the names of the BTK inhibitors?
- How long can you stay on Imbruvica (ibrutinib)?
- How quickly does Imbruvica (ibrutinib) work?