What is the cost of Yescarta?
The cost of Yescarta, as reported by the manufacturer, is $373,000 per treatment regimen. A personalized and complicated bioengineering process such as CAR T cell development is expected to be costly. Each dose of Yescarta is a customized treatment created using a patient’s own immune system to help fight lymphoma (blood cancer).
The wholesale acquistion cost (WAC) has been reported as $399,000.
The manufacturer offers support through their Kite Konnect program. To learn more call Kite Konnect at 1-844-454-KITE (5483). Your coverage may vary based on your plan or circumstances.
Why is CAR-T cell therapy so expensive?
Factors that contribute to the cost of CAR-T cell therapy include:
- Specialized facilities and health care providers
- Individualized manufacturing costs for personalized therapy
- Possible need for intensive care post-infusion due to serious adverse events
- Prolonged hospitalization and patient follow-up.
What is Yescarta used for?
Yescarta (axicabtagene ciloleucel), from Kite Pharma/Gilead, was first approved in October 2017 as a chimeric antigen receptor T cell (CAR T) therapy used for adults with large B-cell lymphoma after failing at least two other treatments.
In March 2021, Yescarta was also approved to treat adults with relapsed or refractory follicular lymphoma (FL) after two or more lines of systemic therapy.
In April 2022, it was approved for adults with large B-cell lymphoma that is refractory (has not responded) to first-line chemoimmunotherapy or that relapses (has returned) within 12 months of first-line chemoimmunotherapy.
Related: CAR T-Cell Therapy: A Healthcare Professional's Guide - The Top Questions Answered
This is not all the information you need to know about Yescarta (axicabtagene ciloleucel) for safe and effective use and does not take the place of talking to your doctor about your treatment. Review the full Yescarta information here, and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Clarke T, et al. FDA approves Gilead cancer gene therapy; price set at $373,000. Reuters. Healthcare and Pharma. October 18, 2017. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-gilead-sciences-fda-idUSKBN1CN35H
- Borgert R. Improving Outcomes and Mitigating Costs Associated With CAR T-Cell Therapy. Am J Manag Care. 2021;27(13):S253-S261. https://doi.org/10.37765/ajmc.2021.88737
- Yescarta. Support and Resources. Kite Pharma. Accessed May 10, 2022 at https://www.yescartahcp.com/large-b-cell-lymphoma/support-and-resources
Related medical questions
- How is Yescarta administered?
- What type of drug is Yescarta (axicabtagene ciloleucel)?
- Does ibrutinib cause hair loss?
- Is Imbruvica a chemotherapy drug?
- Is Velcade a type of chemotherapy?
- How long does Velcade stay in your body?
- Who makes Imbruvica?
- How long does it take for Xalkori to work?
- How to pronounce Xalkori?
- How and where is Adcetris administered?
- Who makes Leukeran, and where is it made?
Related support groups
- Axicabtagene Ciloleucel (3 questions, 3 members)
- Yescarta (3 questions, 3 members)
- Lymphoma (15 questions, 44 members)