How is Rituxan Hycela administered?
Rituxan Hycela (rituximab and hyaluronidase human) is given via subcutaneous injection - an injection under the skin - in the stomach area. It is administered by a healthcare professional.
Rituxan Hycela contains rituximab, the same active ingredient as in Rituxan. But it has been formulated so that it can be given over 5-7 minutes via subcutaneous injection, rather than via intravenous (IV) infusion like Rituxan, which can take 3-6 hours.
Rituxan Hycela should only be administered after at least one full dose of a rituximab product has been administered via intravenous (IV) infusion because of the potential for hypersensitivity reactions and other side effects during the initial administration of rituximab products.
Before you receive Rituxan Hycela, an antihistamine and acetaminophen, and possibly a glucocorticoid medication, will be administered to help prevent side effects. After your injection you’ll be monitored for at least 15 minutes.
- Rituxan Hycela website. Prescribing information. Administration. [Accessed September 29, 20201]. Available from: https://www.rituxanhycela.com/hcp/dosing-and-administration/administration.html.
- NIH, National Cancer Institute. New Rituximab Formulation Approved for Some Lymphomas, Leukemia. July 14, 2017. [Accessed September 29, 2021]. Available from: https://www.cancer.gov/news-events/cancer-currents-blog/2017/fda-rituxan-hycela.
Related medical questions
- What is the difference between Rituxan and Rituxan Hycela?
- What is the difference between Truxima and Rituxan?
- How does Monjuvi work?
- What is the success rate of Rituxan (rituximab) in patients with blood cancers?
- How is Monjuvi given / administered?
- What causes infusion reactions to rituximab?
- What type of drug is Yescarta (axicabtagene ciloleucel)?
- How will I feel after a Rituxan infusion?
- How long does it take for Rituxan to work?
- How does the drug Rituxan work?
- How do you prepare for a Rituxan infusion?
- Rituxan Hycela Information for Consumers
- Rituxan Hycela Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Rituxan Hycela (detailed)