Does Farxiga cause weight loss?
Farxiga may lead to modest weight loss, even though it's not a weight loss drug. Clinical studies showed people taking Farxiga alone, at either 5 mg or 10 mg daily, lost about 6 pounds over 24 weeks. Studies also showed that average weight loss among people taking Farxiga along with metformin, another type 2 diabetes drug, was about 6-7 pounds over 24 weeks.
Farxiga is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as a treatment for type 2 diabetes, heart failure and chronic kidney disease. However, multiple studies have shown a potentially beneficial side effect of taking Farxiga may be modest weight loss. This can happen with Farxiga alone or when the drug is taken in combination with another diabetes drug, like insulin or other oral diabetes pills.
Farxiga is in a class of medications called sodium-glucose cotransporter-2 (SGLT2) inhibitors. These drugs block the kidneys from taking in some of the excess sugar in your blood. These substances are then flushed out through the urine. This process may cause you to urinate more often and become dehydrated. To counteract this effect, your doctor may recommend that you drink more fluid than usual when you're taking Farxiga.
The drug maker also recommends that people taking Farxiga eat a healthy diet and get regular physical activity.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Farxiga. February 2019. Available at: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2019/202293s015lbl.pdf. [Accessed August 5, 2020].
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). FDA approves new treatment for a type of heart failure. May 5, 2020. Updated May 22, 2020. Available at: https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-approves-new-treatment-type-heart-failure. [Accessed August 7, 2020].
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Sodium-glucose Cotransporter-2 (SGLT2) Inhibitors. August 20, 2018. Available at: https://www.fda.gov/drugs/postmarket-drug-safety-information-patients-and-providers/sodium-glucose-cotransporter-2-sglt2-inhibitors. [Accessed August 7, 2020].
- Farxiga FDA Approval History: https://www.drugs.com/history/farxiga.html [Accessed May 6,2021)
Related medical questions
- How long does it take for Farxiga to work?
- Can Farxiga cause kidney damage?
- What is Farxiga used for and how does it work?
- Why does Farxiga cause yeast infections?
- Can Farxiga cause constipation?
- What are the ingredient drugs contained in Qternmet XR?
- Farxiga Information for Consumers
- Farxiga Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Farxiga (detailed)