Why does Farxiga cause yeast infections?
Farxiga lowers blood sugar by releasing excess sugar through urination. That means any fungal yeast in the male or female genitals gets exposed to more sugar than usual in urine. Yeast, which naturally occurs in the genitals, feeds on this extra sugar and may multiply. Yeast infections are one of the most common side effects of taking Farxiga.
Farxiga is commonly used to treat type 2 diabetes. It has also been approved to treat people with a certain type of heart failure and for chronic kidney disease. It's in a class of medications called sodium-glucose cotransporter-2 (SGLT2) inhibitors. Other medications in this group work in a similar way and also increase your risk of yeast infections.
In women, signs of a yeast infection include:
- Vaginal itching
- Vaginal odor (a bad smell)
- Vaginal discharge that may be yellow or white, and sometimes lumpy
In men, signs of a yeast infection include:
- A rash on the penis
- Swelling, itching or redness of the penis
- Discharge from the penis that smells bad
Your doctor can tell you what steps might help you prevent a yeast infection while you're taking Farxiga. Also, higher blood sugar levels can contribute to yeast infections. Following your diabetes treatment plan as closely as possible usually lowers your blood sugar levels, which might help you avoid a yeast infection.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Farxiga. February 2019. Available at: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2019/202293s015lbl.pdf. [Accessed August 5, 2020].
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Diabetes and Women. September 2018. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/library/features/diabetes-and-women.html. [Accessed August 7, 2020].
- Farxiga FDA Approval History: https://www.drugs.com/history/farxiga.html [Accessed May 6,2021)
Related medical questions
- How long does it take for Farxiga to work?
- Does Farxiga cause weight loss?
- Can Farxiga cause kidney damage?
- What is Farxiga used for and how does it work?
- Can Farxiga cause constipation?
- What are the ingredient drugs contained in Qternmet XR?
- Farxiga Information for Consumers
- Farxiga Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Farxiga (detailed)
Related support groups
- Farxiga (12 questions, 20 members)