What is Doptelet used for and how does it work?
How long does it take for Doptelet to work?
What is Doptelet used for?
Doptelet (avatrombopag) is used to increase the level of platelets in the blood, in patients that have low platelets levels (thrombocytopenia) with
- chronic liver disease (CLD) and are scheduled to undergo a procedure or
- chronic immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) and have not had a good response from another treatment.
What happens to you if you have low platelet levels?
- Platelets role within the blood is to help blood clot by clumping together and blocking up blood vessels when there are injuries.
- If you have low platelet levels your blood will not clot as effectively as it should, therefore you will be at a greater risk of severe bleeding or bruising during procedures or surgery.
- Symptoms of low platelet levels are bruising, blood in urine or bowel motions, fatigue, enlarged spleen and heavy menstrual flows.
How does Doptelet work?
Platelet production in the body starts with hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs), which develop into megakaryoctye cells, which produce platelets.
Doptelet (a thrombopoietin receptor agonist ) tells the body to make more of the HSCs develop into megakaryocytes cells. Once there are more megakaryocytes cells, there is an increase in the amount of platelets that can be made, resulting in increased platelet levels
How long does Doptelet take to work?
- It takes approximately 10 to 13 days for the platelet levels to be increased.
- For patients with chronic liver disease that are scheduled to undergo a procedure Doptelet should be started 10 to 13 days before scheduled procedure.
- The duration of the Doptelet course is 5 days and procedure should be done 5 to 8 days after the last dose of Doptelet.
- Low level of platelets in the blood (thrombocytopenia) increases your risk of bleeding, bruising, blood in urine or bowel motions, fatigue, enlarged spleen, heavy menstrual flows. If you have a procedure or surgery there is a risk of severe bleeding or bruising.
- Doptelet can increase platelet levels over 10 to 13 days to reduce risk of bruising and bleeding from procedure or surgeries
Doptelet Medication Information: https://www.drugs.com/pro/doptelet.html
Avatrombopag for the treatment of immune thrombocytopenia and thrombocytopenia of chronic liver disease: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6733339/
Related medical questions
- Mulpleta vs Doptelet - What's the difference?
- How do you take Doptelet before a medical or dental procedure?
- How long does Nplate take to work?
- Is Nplate a chemotherapy drug?
- How is Nplate administered?
- What is Nplate used for and how does it work?
- Does Nplate cause hair loss?
- How do you increase platelet count during chemotherapy?