What is Nplate used for and how does it work?
Nplate is used for immune thrombocytopenia and hematopoietic syndrome of acute radiation syndrome
Nplate (romiplostim) is a biological drug used to treat thrombocytopenia (low blood platelet counts) and increase survival in people exposed to high doses of radiation. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has specifically approved Nplate for the following reasons:
- To treat adults with immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) when corticosteroids, immunoglobulins or surgery to remove the spleen (splenectomy) has not worked well enough
- To treat children 1 year of age and older with ITP for at least 6 months when corticosteroids, immunoglobulins or surgery to remove the spleen has not worked well enough
- To increase survival in people (including adults and children as young as full term neonates) with Hematopoietic Syndrome of Acute Radiation Syndrome (HS-ARS), which occurs following acute exposure to doses of radiation that reduce the activity of the bone marrow (myelosuppressive) resulting in fewer platelets and other cells
Nplate works by boosting your body’s production of platelets
Nplate works to boost your body’s production of platelets. It acts as a thrombopoietin receptor agonist. It does not suppress the immune system, but instead binds to and activates thrombopoietin (TPO) receptors in the bone marrow. This activates multi cell-signaling pathways, which results in enhanced cell growth and cell viability, leading to increased platelet counts.
Nplate is given by subcutaneous injection once a week by your healthcare provider.
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Nplate. February 2021. [Accessed August 13, 2021]. Available from: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2021/125268s168lbl.pdf.
- Bussel JB, Soff G, Balduzzi A, Cooper N, Lawrence T, Semple JW. A Review of Romiplostim Mechanism of Action and Clinical Applicability. Drug Des Devel Ther. 2021;15:2243-2268. Published 2021 May 26. doi:10.2147/DDDT.S299591. https://www.dovepress.com/a-review-of-romiplostim-mechanism-of-action-and-clinical-applicability-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-DDDT.
Related medical questions
- How long does Nplate take to work?
- Does Nplate cause hair loss?
- Is Nplate a chemotherapy drug?
- How is Nplate administered?
- What is Doptelet used for and how does it work?
- Nplate Information for Consumers
- Nplate Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Nplate (detailed)