Does Nplate cause hair loss?
Medically reviewed by Leigh Ann Anderson, PharmD. Last updated on April 13, 2021.
No, hair loss (alopecia) was not reported by patients in clinical studies for Nplate. If you are experiencing hair thinning or hair loss that is concerning for you, you may want to talk with your healthcare provider. It may be due to a medical condition or another medication you take.
Adults (≥ 5% higher incidence vs. placebo):
- joint pain
- trouble sleeping (insomnia)
- muscle pain
- pain in extremity, like the legs or arms
- stomach area pain
- shoulder pain
- feeling of pins or needles, often due to nerve damage (paresthesias)
Headache (35%) was the most commonly reported side that did not occur at ≥ 5% higher incidence when compared to placebo (32%). Most headaches occurring in Nplate patients (79%) were of mild or moderate severity.
Children (≥ 25% incidence):
- bruising (contusion)
- upper respiratory tract infection
- throat pain
What is Nplate used for?
Nplate is a prescription medication used to prevent bruising and bleeding in patients with chronic immune thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP), a rare bleeding condition due to low platelets in the blood. It is approved by the FDA to be used in adults and children at least one year old.
Nplate is only used after other treatments, like corticosteroids, immunoglobulins, or a splenectomy, have been tried without success.
Nplate is manufactured by Amgen.
Related: Nplate FDA Approval History
This is not all the information you need to know about Nplate (romiplostim) for safe and effective use and does not take the place of talking to your doctor about your treatment. Review the full Nplate information here, and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Nplate (romiplostim) product labeling. Amgen. Thousand Oaks, CA. Accessed April 13, 2021 at https://www.pi.amgen.com/~/media/amgen/repositorysites/pi-amgen-com/nplate/nplate_pi_hcp_english.pdf
Related Medical Questions
- Nplate Information for Consumers
- Nplate Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Nplate (detailed)