Bupropion/naltrexone and Alcohol/Food Interactions
There is 1 alcohol/food/lifestyle interaction with bupropion / naltrexone.
Moderate Food Interaction
Consumer information for this interaction is not currently available.
GENERALLY AVOID: Excessive use or abrupt discontinuation of alcohol after chronic ingestion may precipitate seizures in patients receiving bupropion. Additionally, there have been rare postmarketing reports of adverse neuropsychiatric events or reduced alcohol tolerance in patients who drank alcohol during treatment with bupropion. According to one forensic report, a patient died after taking large doses of both bupropion and alcohol. It is uncertain whether a drug interaction was involved. Single-dose studies in healthy volunteers given bupropion and alcohol failed to demonstrate either a significant pharmacokinetic or pharmacodynamic interaction.
MANAGEMENT: The manufacturer recommends that alcohol consumption be minimized or avoided during bupropion treatment. The use of bupropion is contraindicated in patients undergoing abrupt discontinuation of alcohol.
- Posner J, Bye A, Jeal S, Peck AW, Whiteman P "Alcohol and bupropion pharmacokinetics in healthy male volunteers." Eur J Clin Pharmacol 26 (1984): 627-30
- Ramcharitar V, Levine BS, Goldberger BA, Caplan YH "Bupropion and alcohol fatal intoxication: case report." Forensic Sci Int 56 (1992): 151-6
- Hamilton MJ, Bush MS, Peck AW "The effect of bupropion, a new antidepressant drug, and alcohol and their interaction in man." Eur J Clin Pharmacol 27 (1984): 75-80
- "Product Information. Wellbutrin (bupropion)." Glaxo Wellcome (2001):
Bupropion/naltrexone drug interactions
There are 702 drug interactions with bupropion / naltrexone.
Bupropion/naltrexone disease interactions
There are 10 disease interactions with bupropion / naltrexone which include:
- seizure disorders
- hepatic dysfunction
- angle closure glaucoma
- liver disease
- mixed/manic episode
- renal dysfunction
- hepatic/renal dysfunction
- weight loss
More about bupropion / naltrexone
- bupropion/naltrexone consumer information
- Check interactions
- Reviews (2,023)
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: anorexiants
- En español
Related treatment guides
Drug Interaction Classification
|Highly clinically significant. Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit.|
|Moderately clinically significant. Usually avoid combinations; use it only under special circumstances.|
|Minimally clinically significant. Minimize risk; assess risk and consider an alternative drug, take steps to circumvent the interaction risk and/or institute a monitoring plan.|
|No interaction information available.|
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.