Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 16, 2023.
Applies to the following strengths: 10 mg; 17 mg; 34 mg
Usual Adult Dose for:
Additional dosage information:
Usual Adult Dose for Psychosis
34 mg (as two 17 mg tablets) orally once a day
Comment: This drug does not require titration.
Use: Treatment of hallucinations and delusions associated with Parkinson's disease psychosis
Renal Dose Adjustments
Mild to moderate renal dysfunction (CrCl 30 mL/min and greater): No adjustment recommended.
Severe renal dysfunction (CrCl less than 30 mL/min): Not recommended.
Liver Dose Adjustments
Use with concurrent strong CYP450 3A4 inhibitors: 17 mg orally once a day
Use with concurrent strong CYP450 3A4 inducers:
- Monitor for reduced efficacy; the dose of this drug may need to be increased
US BOXED WARNINGS:
INCREASED MORTALITY IN ELDERLY PATIENTS WITH DEMENTIA-RELATED PSYCHOSIS:
- Elderly patients with dementia-related psychosis treated with antipsychotic drugs are at an increased risk of death.
- This drug is not approved for the treatment of patients with dementia-related psychosis unrelated to the hallucinations and delusions associated with Parkinson's disease psychosis.
Safety and efficacy have not been established in pediatric patients.
Consult WARNINGS section for additional precautions.
Data not available
- May be taken with or without food
- Patients should be advised to report all concurrent prescription and nonprescription medications or herbal products they are taking.
- Patients should be advised to speak to a healthcare provider if pregnant, intend to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
More about pimavanserin
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Reviews (15)
- Side effects
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: atypical antipsychotics
- En español
- Pimavanserin drug information
- Pimavanserin (Advanced Reading)
- Pimavanserin Tablets
- Pimavanserin Capsules
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.