Generic name: DOXYCYCLINE HYCLATE 20mg
Dosage form: tablet
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Apr 20, 2020.
THE DOSAGE OF PERIOSTAT DIFFERS FROM THAT OF DOXYCYCLINE USED TO TREAT INFECTIONS. EXCEEDING THE RECOMMENDED DOSAGE MAY RESULT IN AN INCREASED INCIDENCE OF SIDE EFFECTS INCLUDING THE DEVELOPMENT OF RESISTANT MICROORGANISMS.
PERIOSTAT 20 mg twice daily as an adjunct following scaling and root planing may be administered for up to 9 months. PERIOSTAT should be taken twice daily at 12 hour intervals, usually in the morning and evening. It is recommended that if PERIOSTAT is taken close to meal times, allow at least one hour prior to or two hours after meals. Safety beyond 12 months and efficacy beyond 9 months have not been established.
Administration of adequate amounts of fluid along with the tablets is recommended to wash down the drug and reduce the risk of esophageal irritation and ulceration. (See ADVERSE REACTIONS section).
- How long does doxycycline stay in your body after you finish your prescribed amount?
- Can I take doxycycline if I am allergic to penicillin?
- What is doxycycline hyclate used for?
- Is doxycycline hydrochloride 100mg a sulfa based drug?
- Can you smoke cigarettes or marijuana while on doxycycline hyclate 100mg?
- Can I take doxycycline hyclate for strep throat?
- Will it be harmful to take doxycycline with iron supplements?
- Can taking doxycycline for acne worsen my skin?
- What is the best antibiotic to treat a sinus infection?
- What antibiotics are used to treat pneumonia?
- How long after stopping doxycycline can I drink alcohol?
More about Periostat (doxycycline)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Drug class: miscellaneous antimalarials