Generic name: ORITAVANCIN 400mg
Dosage form: injection, powder, lyophilized, for solution
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. Always consult your doctor or pharmacist.
The recommended dosing for ORBACTIV is a single 1200 mg dose administered by intravenous infusion over 3 hours in patients 18 years and older.
Preparation of ORBACTIV for Intravenous Infusion
ORBACTIV is intended for intravenous infusion, only after reconstitution and dilution.
Three ORBACTIV 400 mg vials need to be reconstituted and diluted to prepare a single 1200 mg intravenous dose.
Reconstitution: Aseptic technique should be used to reconstitute three ORBACTIV 400 mg vials.
- Add 40 mL of sterile water for injection (WFI) to reconstitute each vial to provide a 10 mg/mL solution per vial.
- For each vial, gently swirl to avoid foaming and ensure that all ORBACTIV powder is completely reconstituted in solution.
- Each vial should be inspected visually for particulate matter after reconstitution and should appear to be clear, colorless to pale yellow solution.
Dilution: Use ONLY 5% dextrose in sterile water (D5W) for dilution. Do NOT use Normal Saline for dilution as it is incompatible with ORBACTIV and may cause precipitation of the drug. Use aseptic technique to:
- Withdraw and discard 120 mL from a 1000 mL intravenous bag of D5W.
- Withdraw 40 mL from each of the three reconstituted vials and add to D5W intravenous bag to bring the bag volume to 1000 mL. This yields a concentration of 1.2 mg/mL.
Since no preservative or bacteriostatic agent is present in this product, aseptic technique must be used in preparing the final intravenous solution.
Diluted intravenous solution in an infusion bag should be used within 6 hours when stored at room temperature, or used within 12 hours when refrigerated at 2 to 8°C (36 to 46°F). The combined storage time (reconstituted solution in the vial and diluted solution in the bag) and 3 hour infusion time should not exceed 6 hours at room temperature or 12 hours if refrigerated.
ORBACTIV is administered intravenously. ORBACTIV should only be diluted in D5W. Do NOT use normal saline for dilution as it is incompatible with ORBACTIV and may cause precipitation of the drug. Therefore other intravenous substances, additives or other medications mixed in normal saline should not be added to ORBACTIV single-use vials or infused simultaneously through the same IV line or through a common intravenous port. In addition, drugs formulated at a basic or neutral pH may be incompatible with ORBACTIV. ORBACTIV should not be administered simultaneously with commonly used intravenous drugs through a common intravenous port. If the same intravenous line is used for sequential infusion of additional medications, the line should be flushed before and after infusion of ORBACTIV with D5W.