Iluvien Implant Dosage
Generic name: FLUOCINOLONE ACETONIDE 0.19mg
Dosage form: implant
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. Always consult your doctor or pharmacist.
The intravitreal injection procedure should be carried out under aseptic conditions, which include the use of sterile gloves, a sterile drape, a sterile caliper, and a sterile eyelid speculum (or equivalent). Adequate anesthesia and a broad-spectrum microbicide should be given prior to the injection.
The injection procedure for ILUVIEN is as follows:
- The exterior of the tray should not be considered sterile. An assistant (non-sterile) should remove the tray from the carton and examine the tray and lid for damage. If damaged, do not use unit.
If acceptable, the assistant should peel the lid from the tray without touching the interior surface.
- Visually check through the viewing window of the preloaded applicator to ensure that there is a drug implant inside.
- Remove the applicator from the tray with sterile gloved hands touching only the sterile interior tray surface and applicator.
The protective cap on the needle should not be removed until the patient is ready to be injected.
Prior to injection, the applicator tip must be kept above the horizontal plane to ensure that the implant is properly positioned within the applicator.
- To reduce the amount of air administered with the implant, the administration procedure requires two steps. Before inserting the needle into the eye, push the applicator button down and slide it to the first stop (at the curved black marks alongside the button track). At the first stop, release the button and it should move to the UP position. If the button does not rise to the UP position, do not proceed with this unit.
- Optimal placement of the implant is inferior to the optic disc and posterior to the equator of the eye. Measure 4 millimeters inferotemporal from the limbus with the aid of calipers for point of entry into the sclera.
- Carefully remove the protective cap from the needle and inspect the tip to ensure it is not bent.
- Gently displace the conjunctiva so that after withdrawing the needle, the conjunctival and scleral needle entry sites will not align. Care should be taken to avoid contact between the needle and the lid margin or lashes. Insert the needle through the conjunctiva and sclera. To release the implant, while the button is in the UP position, advance the button by sliding it forward to the end of the button track and remove the needle. Note: Ensure that the button reaches the end of the track before removing the needle.
- Remove the lid speculum and perform indirect ophthalmoscopy to verify placement of the implant, adequate central retinal artery perfusion and absence of any other complications.
Following the injection, patients should be monitored for elevation in intraocular pressure and for endophthalmitis. Monitoring may consist of a check for perfusion of the optic nerve head immediately after the injection, tonometry within 30 minutes following the injection, and biomicroscopy between two and seven days following the injection. Patients should be instructed to report without delay any symptoms suggestive of endophthalmitis.
More about Iluvien (fluocinolone ophthalmic)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
Other brands: Retisert