Generic name: Mesalamine
Dosage form: rectal suppository
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. Always consult your doctor or pharmacist.
The recommended dosage of CANASA in adults is 1000 mg administered rectally once daily at bedtime for 3 to 6 weeks depending on symptoms and sigmoidoscopic findings. Safety and effectiveness of CANASA beyond 6 weeks have not been established.
- Evaluate renal function prior to initiation of CANASA therapy and periodically while on therapy.
- Do not cut or break the suppository.
- Retain the suppository for one to three hours or longer, if possible.
- If a dose of CANASA is missed, administer as soon as possible, unless it is almost time for next dose. Do not use two CANASA suppositories at the same time to make up for a missed dose.
- CANASA suppositories will cause staining of direct contact surfaces, including but not limited to fabrics, flooring, painted surfaces, marble, granite, vinyl, and enamel. Keep CANASA away from these surfaces to prevent staining.