User Reviews for Canasa

Ulcerative Proctitis
5.8

Pat · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 5, 2020

For Ulcerative Proctitis: “I have been using Canasa for 2 years first wasn't paying for it until I turn 65 yrs old last year. I now paid $75 copayment. 3 month ago I tried the generic brand and I notice lots of systems heart palpitations lots of bloating. Really bad pains. My blood pressure elevated, nervousness, muscle pain in my left calve. Pain in my left side. Really bad headache can't deal with it anymore, I am even loosing body mass.”

Cat · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 25, 2020

For Ulcerative Proctitis: “I had Ulcerative proctitis for 5 years before getting pregnant. Only 1 flare since diagnosis during that time (and it was while off the medication). Canasa suppositories worked within a week and completely maintained me in remission. Then a new doctor told me not to use suppositories if I got pregnant (I told her we were trying to get pregnant and I wanted to check if the medication was okay). I stopped it 2 months before I got pregnant and flared 2 months into pregnancy, but throughout the entire colon this time. I’m now on Lialda, Canasa, and prednisone. It’s been extremely difficult to control the flare, which is typical of flares during pregnancy. I wish I had never stopped taking Canasa. It might be too early to judge Lialda after 4 days, but Lialda has given me so much nausea it feels like I’m back in the first trimester. *for anyone wondering, you obviously can take Canasa while pregnant, if clearly needed and the benefit outweighs the risk, as I am currently back on it and 29 weeks.”

Pecos · Taken for less than 1 month November 20, 2019

For Ulcerative Proctitis: “I can't afford Canasa. 2 doctors have prescribed it for me. I am on medicare and it will put me into the coverage gap in just a few months. Then I pay lots more for all my drugs. What a scam. I tried Apriso and it gave me tinnitus.”

Anonymous April 2, 2008

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “This is a 5-ASA suppository. Helpful in gaining control of a mild UC flare. No side effects. Fairly easy to "hold in" compared to Rowasa, but doesn't spread as far, pretty much only the rectum. A little lube helps, I also knock off the rough edges on the blunt end.”

Anonymous September 13, 2011

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “Colon pain and bleeding occurred while I was out of country. Doctor thought condition would improve on its own. Condition persisted for three weeks until Canasa prescribed. Two to three days after administering medication, symptoms disappeared. It is such a relief to no longer have the stress that occurs with illness. I am pleased that my physician recommended this of action, and wished I'd had this intervention sooner.”

David1981 December 30, 2016

For Ulcerative Proctitis: “When I first started taking it it didn't have any effect except minor stomach cramping which I wasn't even sure if it was from drug. I stopped taking it but my doctor told me to take once in morning and once at night. I also began taking Lialda which has same ingredients again morning and night two pills. After about a month or two I had a dramatic positive affect. I've tried getting off it but my symptoms return. It is effective for bleeding and liquid stool. I sometimes still feel the need to evacuate without anything there but as long as I consistently take it, I have little if any problems”

DonLD September 14, 2016

For Ulcerative Colitis: “Very Helpful. Because it is SO expensive, I would wait until it became really bad... Thinking "oh it'll get better". But I will share a trick I do. NOT DR. APPROVED. I use it full strength for 6 days (when I see real results... Do NOT stop treatment). Then I cut a 1/4 off of the small end of each, and collect them in a sandwich bag. Then I shake them to the bottom of the bag, let the bottom of the bag sit in warm water until I can roll a length/roll (while still in the baggy). let it cool then cut into sections for more suppositories... to extend my treatment or for emergencies. I also eat the same foods most EVERY Day. Avacadoes, white rice, soft scrambled eggs, bananas w/ p-butter, squash, oysters, refriedbeans, asparagus & can spinich”

Anonymous in US · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 3, 2015

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “Gives me moderate headaches, acne, fatigue and susceptibility to infections when I use it but it does help to manage ulcerative colitis. I have to balance between the side effects of the medicine and the intestinal damage. My goal is to use it once a week.”

Rick0517 July 31, 2011

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “I used Canasa for 1 year and it seemed to lessen my flare ups. After one year my prescription discount has run out and can't be renewed for 6 months. Since Canasa is VERY expensive I'm not able to afford it. I've been off it for three weeks now and experiencing small flare ups, severe fatigue and cramping.”

Anonymous October 8, 2008

“I was diagnosed with proctitis (only in the first 7 inches of the rectum) and had pain on and off every 4-5 months for 10 years until I got medicated for it. Canasa is great if you use it when symtoms arise and keep using it 5-10 days after symptom finishes. Remission for me is still 3-4 months but for now Canasa relieves the pain and inflammation.”

Sickofbeingsicko April 4, 2010

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “This medicine stopped the pain of two severe colon fistulas (fissures?) in about three days. I'm very glad to have had it prescribed, and to my knowledge, no side effects.”

Anonymous February 7, 2012

For Crohn's Disease: “Helped a great deal”