Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 26, 2021.
Generic name: LEVONORGESTREL 0.15mg, ETHINYL ESTRADIOL 0.03mg;
Dosage form: tablets
1. How to Start and Take Ayuna
Ayuna is dispensed in a blister pack containing 28 tablets (see HOW SUPPLIED). Ayuna may be started using either a Day 1 start or a Sunday start (see Table 3). For the first cycle of a Sunday start regimen, an additional method of contraception should be used until after the first 7 consecutive days of administration.
Table 3: Instructions for Administration of Ayuna
|Starting Ayuna in females with no current use of hormonal contraception
||Day 1 start
|Switching from another contraceptive method
Starting Ayuna after Abortion or Miscarriage
- After a first-trimester abortion or miscarriage, Ayuna may be started immediately. An additional method of contraception is not needed if Ayuna is started immediately.
- If Ayuna is not started within 5 days after termination of the pregnancy, the patient should use additional non-hormonal contraception (such as condoms or spermicide) for the first seven days of her first cycle of Ayuna.
- Do not start until 4 weeks after a second-trimester abortion or miscarriage, due to the increased risk of thromboembolic disease. Start Ayuna following the instructions in Table 3 for Day 1 or Sunday start. Use additional non-hormonal contraception (such as condoms or spermicide) for the first seven days of the patient’s first cycle of Ayuna (see CONTRAINDICATIONS, WARNINGS (1), PRECAUTIONS (10) and FDA-APPROVED PATIENT LABELING).
Starting Ayuna after Childbirth
- Do not start until 4 weeks after delivery, due to the increased risk of thromboembolic disease. Start contraceptive therapy with Ayuna following the instructions in Table 3 for women not currently using hormonal contraception.
- Ayuna is not recommended for use in lactating women (see PRECAUTIONS (7) and FDA-APPROVED PATIENT LABELING).
- If the woman has not yet had a period postpartum, consider the possibility of ovulation and conception occurring prior to use of Ayuna (see CONTRAINDICATIONS, WARNINGS (9), PRECAUTIONS (6) and FDA-APPROVED PATIENT LABELING).
2. Dosing Ayuna
Instruct patients to take one tablet by mouth at the same time every day. To achieve maximum contraceptive effectiveness, patients must take Ayuna as directed, in the order directed on the blister pack. The failure rate may increase when pills are missed or taken incorrectly.
3. Missed doses
Instruct patients about the handling of missed doses (e.g., to take single missed pills as soon as possible) and to follow the dosing instructions provided in the FDA-approved patient labeling.
Table 4: Instructions for Missed Ayuna
||Take the tablet as soon as possible. Continue taking one tablet a day until the pack is finished.
||Take the two missed tablets as soon as possible and the next two active tablets the next day. Continue taking one tablet a day until the pack is finished. Additional nonhormonal contraception (such as condoms or spermicide) should be used as back-up if the patient has sex within 7 days after missing tablets.
||Day 1 start: Throw out the rest of the pack and start a new pack that same day.
Sunday start: Continue taking one tablet a day until Sunday, then throw out the rest of the pack and start a new pack that same day.
Additional nonhormonal contraception (such as condoms or spermicide) should be used as back-up if the patient has sex within 7 days after missing tablets.
4. Advice in Case of Gastrointestinal Disturbances
If vomiting occurs within 3 to 4 hours after taking Ayuna, the patient should proceed as if she missed a tablet. In case of prolonged vomiting or diarrhea, absorption may not be complete and additional contraceptive measures should be taken.
More about Ayuna (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Imprints, Shape & Color Data
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- Drug class: contraceptives
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.