Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Dec 19, 2022.
THE DOSAGE OF DOXYCYCLINE HYCLATE TABLETS DIFFERS FROM THAT
OF DOXYCYCLINE USED TO TREAT INFECTIONS. EXCEEDING THE
RECOMMENDED DOSAGE MAY RESULT IN AN INCREASED INCIDENCE OF
SIDE EFFECTS INCLUDING THE DEVELOPMENT OF RESISTANT
Doxycycline hyclate tablets 20 mg twice daily as an adjunct following scaling and
root planing may be administered for up to 9 months. Doxycycline hyclate tablets
should be taken twice daily at 12 hour intervals, usually in the morning and evening.
It is recommended that if doxycycline hyclate tablets is taken close to meal times,
allow at least one hour prior to or two hours after meals. Safety beyond 12 months
and efficacy beyond 9 months have not been established. Administration of adequate amounts of fluid along with the tablets is recommended
to wash down the drug and reduce the risk of esophageal irritation and ulceration.
(See ADVERSE REACTIONS Section).
Frequently asked questions
- What are the most common skin conditions? (with photos)
- Is doxycycline safe for dogs?
- What is the best antibiotic to treat a sinus infection?
- What are the best antibiotics for pneumonia?
- How long after stopping doxycycline can I drink alcohol?
- What causes black hairy tongue?
- What is doxycycline hyclate used for?
- How long does doxycycline stay in your body?
- Can I take doxycycline hyclate for strep throat?
More about Alodox (doxycycline)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Imprints, shape & color data
- Side effects
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: miscellaneous antimalarials
- En español
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.