Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Dec 20, 2021.
THE DOSAGE OF DOXYCYCLINE HYCLATE TABLETS DIFFERS FROM THAT
OF DOXYCYCLINE USED TO TREAT INFECTIONS. EXCEEDING THE
RECOMMENDED DOSAGE MAY RESULT IN AN INCREASED INCIDENCE OF
SIDE EFFECTS INCLUDING THE DEVELOPMENT OF RESISTANT
Doxycycline hyclate tablets 20 mg twice daily as an adjunct following scaling and
root planing may be administered for up to 9 months. Doxycycline hyclate tablets
should be taken twice daily at 12 hour intervals, usually in the morning and evening.
It is recommended that if doxycycline hyclate tablets is taken close to meal times,
allow at least one hour prior to or two hours after meals. Safety beyond 12 months
and efficacy beyond 9 months have not been established. Administration of adequate amounts of fluid along with the tablets is recommended
to wash down the drug and reduce the risk of esophageal irritation and ulceration.
(See ADVERSE REACTIONS Section).
Frequently asked questions
- How long after stopping doxycycline can I drink alcohol?
- What is the best antibiotic to treat a sinus infection?
- What are the best antibiotics for pneumonia?
- What is doxycycline hyclate used for?
- How long does doxycycline stay in your body after you finish your prescribed amount?
- Can I take doxycycline hyclate for strep throat?
- Can I take doxycycline if I am allergic to penicillin?
- Can taking doxycycline for acne worsen my skin?
- Can you smoke cigarettes or marijuana while on doxycycline hyclate 100mg?
- Is doxycycline hydrochloride 100mg a sulfa based drug?
- Will it be harmful to take doxycycline with iron supplements?
- Does doxycycline cause kidney pain?
More about Alodox (doxycycline)
- Side effects
- Drug interactions
- During pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Imprints, shape & color data
- En español
- Drug class: miscellaneous antimalarials
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.