Zofran (ondansetron) Disease Interactions
There are 2 disease interactions with Zofran (ondansetron):
Ondansetron (applies to Zofran) QT interval prolongation
Major Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility. Applicable conditions: Hypokalemia, Magnesium Imbalance, Congestive Heart Failure, Arrhythmias
ECG changes including QT interval prolongation have been observed in patients receiving ondansetron. Additionally, there have been some postmarketing reports of Torsade de Pointes cases. The use of ondansetron should be avoided in patients with congenital long QT syndrome. ECG monitoring is recommended in patients with electrolyte abnormalities such as hypokalemia or hypomagnesemia, patients with congestive heart failure, bradyarrhythmias, or patients taking other medicines that could lead to QT prolongation.
Ondansetron (applies to Zofran) liver disease
Moderate Potential Hazard, High plausibility.
Ondansetron is extensively metabolized by the liver. The plasma clearance of ondansetron may be substantially decreased and the half-life prolonged in patients with impaired hepatic function. During clinical trials in patients receiving concomitant chemotherapy, transient elevations of serum transaminases and isolated cases of jaundice have been reported. Therapy with ondansetron should be administered cautiously at reduced dosages in patients with liver disease. The manufacturer recommends a maximum daily dosage of 8 mg in severe hepatic impairment.
- Colthup PV, Palmer JL "The determination in plasma and pharmacokinetics of ondansetron." Eur J Cancer Clin Oncol 25 (1989): s71-4
- Blake JC, Palmer JL, Minton NA, Burroughs AK "The pharmacokinetics of intravenous ondansetron in patients with hepatic impairment." Br J Clin Pharmacol 35 (1993): 441-3
- Figg WE, Dukes GE, Pritchard JF, et al. "Ondansetron (OND) pharmacokinetics in chronic liver disease (LD)." Clin Pharmacol Ther 51 (1992): 171
- Bryson JC "Clinical safety of ondansetron." Semin Oncol 19 (1992): 26-32
- "Product Information. Zofran (ondansetron)." Cerenex Pharmaceuticals, Research Triangle Pk, NC.
- Roila F, Delfavero A "Ondansetron clinical pharmacokinetics." Clin Pharmacokinet 29 (1995): 95-109
- Finn AL "Toxicity and side effects of ondansetron." Semin Oncol 19 (1992): 53-60
- Verrill M, Judson I "Jaundice with ondansetron." Lancet 344 (1994): 190-1
- Figg WD, Dukes GE, Pritchard JF, Hermann DJ, Lesesne HR, Carson SW, Songer SS, Powell R, Hak LJ "Pharmacokinetics of ondansetron in patients with hepatic insufficiency." J Clin Pharmacol 36 (1996): 206-15
Zofran (ondansetron) drug interactions
There are 319 drug interactions with Zofran (ondansetron)
More about Zofran (ondansetron)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Patient Tips
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 236 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: 5HT3 receptor antagonists
Related treatment guides
Drug Interaction Classification
|Highly clinically significant. Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit.|
|Moderately clinically significant. Usually avoid combinations; use it only under special circumstances.|
|Minimally clinically significant. Minimize risk; assess risk and consider an alternative drug, take steps to circumvent the interaction risk and/or institute a monitoring plan.|
|No interaction information available.|
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.