Zofran ODT (ondansetron) Disease Interactions
There are 2 disease interactions with Zofran ODT (ondansetron):
Ondansetron (Includes Zofran ODT) ↔ Qt Interval Prolongation
Severe Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility
Applies to: Hypokalemia, Magnesium Imbalance, Congestive Heart Failure, Arrhythmias
ECG changes including QT interval prolongation have been observed in patients receiving ondansetron. Additionally, there have been some postmarketing reports of Torsade de Pointes cases. The use of ondansetron should be avoided in patients with congenital long QT syndrome. ECG monitoring is recommended in patients with electrolyte abnormalities such as hypokalemia or hypomagnesemia, patients with congestive heart failure, bradyarrhythmias, or patients taking other medicines that could lead to QT prolongation.
Ondansetron (Includes Zofran ODT) ↔ Liver Disease
Moderate Potential Hazard, High plausibility
Applies to: Liver Disease
Ondansetron is extensively metabolized by the liver. The plasma clearance of ondansetron may be substantially decreased and the half-life prolonged in patients with impaired hepatic function. During clinical trials in patients receiving concomitant chemotherapy, transient elevations of serum transaminases and isolated cases of jaundice have been reported. Therapy with ondansetron should be administered cautiously at reduced dosages in patients with liver disease. The manufacturer recommends a maximum daily dosage of 8 mg in severe hepatic impairment.
- Blake JC, Palmer JL, Minton NA, Burroughs AK "The pharmacokinetics of intravenous ondansetron in patients with hepatic impairment." Br J Clin Pharmacol 35 (1993): 441-3
- Colthup PV, Palmer JL "The determination in plasma and pharmacokinetics of ondansetron." Eur J Cancer Clin Oncol 25 (1989): s71-4
- Figg WE, Dukes GE, Pritchard JF, et al. "Ondansetron (OND) pharmacokinetics in chronic liver disease (LD)." Clin Pharmacol Ther 51 (1992): 171
- Roila F, Delfavero A "Ondansetron clinical pharmacokinetics." Clin Pharmacokinet 29 (1995): 95-109
- Finn AL "Toxicity and side effects of ondansetron." Semin Oncol 19 (1992): 53-60
- "Product Information. Zofran (ondansetron)." Cerenex Pharmaceuticals, Research Triangle Pk, NC.
- Verrill M, Judson I "Jaundice with ondansetron." Lancet 344 (1994): 190-1
- Bryson JC "Clinical safety of ondansetron." Semin Oncol 19 (1992): 26-32
- Figg WD, Dukes GE, Pritchard JF, Hermann DJ, Lesesne HR, Carson SW, Songer SS, Powell R, Hak LJ "Pharmacokinetics of ondansetron in patients with hepatic insufficiency." J Clin Pharmacol 36 (1996): 206-15
Zofran ODT (ondansetron) drug Interactions
There are 528 drug interactions with Zofran ODT (ondansetron)
Drug Interaction Classification
|Highly clinically significant. Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit.|
|Moderately clinically significant. Usually avoid combinations; use it only under special circumstances.|
|Minimally clinically significant. Minimize risk; assess risk and consider an alternative drug, take steps to circumvent the interaction risk and/or institute a monitoring plan.|
|No information available.|
Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Multum is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. Multum's information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective, or appropriate for any given patient. Multum Information Services, Inc. does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. Copyright 2000-2018 Multum Information Services, Inc. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.