Diamode (loperamide) Disease Interactions
There is 1 disease interaction with Diamode (loperamide):
Antiperistaltic Agents (Includes Diamode) ↔ Infectious Diarrhea
Severe Potential Hazard, High plausibility
Applies to: Infectious Diarrhea/Enterocolitis/Gastroenteritis
The use of drugs with antiperistaltic activity (primarily antidiarrheal and antimuscarinic agents, but also antispasmodic agents such as dicyclomine or oxybutynin at high dosages) is contraindicated in patients with diarrhea due to pseudomembranous enterocolitis or enterotoxin-producing bacteria. These drugs may prolong and/or worsen diarrhea associated with organisms that invade the intestinal mucosa, such as toxigenic E. coli, Salmonella and Shigella, and pseudomembranous colitis due to broad-spectrum antibiotics. Other symptoms and complications such as fever, shedding of organisms and extraintestinal illness may also be increased or prolonged. In general, because antiperistaltic agents decrease gastrointestinal motility, they may delay the excretion of infective gastroenteric organisms or toxins and should be used cautiously in patients with any infectious diarrhea, particularly if accompanied by high fever or pus or blood in the stool. Some cough and cold and other combination products may occasionally include antimuscarinic agents for their drying effects and may, therefore, require careful selection when necessary.
- "Product Information. Atropine Sulfate Injection, USP (atropine)." ESI Lederle Generics, Philadelphia, PA.
- Marshall WF Jr, Rosenthal P, Merritt RJ "Atropine therapy and paralytic ileus in an infant." J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 9 (1989): 532-4
- "Product Information. Imodium (loperamide)." Janssen Pharmaceutica, Titusville, NJ.
- Brown JW "Toxic megacolon associated with loperamide therapy." JAMA 241 (1979): 501-2
- Walley T, Milson D "Loperamide related toxic megacolon in Clostridium difficile colitis." Postgrad Med J 66 (1990): 582
- "Lomotil for diarrhea in children." Med Lett Drugs Ther 17 (1975): 104
Diamode (loperamide) drug Interactions
There are 621 drug interactions with Diamode (loperamide)
Diamode (loperamide) alcohol/food Interactions
There is 1 alcohol/food interaction with Diamode (loperamide)
Drug Interaction Classification
|No information available.|
Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.