User Reviews for Chantix

Learn more about Chantix.

Chantix Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Chantix to treat Smoking Cessation

"I am 72 yrs old. Smoking for over 50 yrs. Tried the patches,to get burn marks on my arms, and itch me like crazy. I am a cancer surviver of 20 yrs. My Dr. put me on Chantix, two pills a day and after one mo. while still smoking, I woke up one morning and said that's it, no more smoking. That was 7 mo. ago, with no side affects at all. Thank God for Chantix."

KT SR. January 9, 2017

"I had been smoking for 42 years. I have tried different ways to stop smoking and it seemed that neither one of them helped. I would always cheat and smoke one here and smoke one there. Chantix is the only medicine didn't help me quit smoking . When I was smoking I was smoking 2 to 2 1/2 packs a day. I can now stay with Chantix I have been smoke-free for nine years. Thank you Chantix"

Timmy T January 3, 2017

"Started Chantix and had horrible dreams at night and depression / suicidal thoughts during the day. After a week, I stopped taking it and continued to smoke. I tried the drug again the next year and had amazing results. The medication completely curbed my desire to smoke. I also lost the urge to drink Mt. Dew. Anyways, I quit smoking for 2 years. After not smoking for 2 years my oldest child became ill and was hospitalized. I ended up smoking again during this life event. I immediately started taking Chantix after he left the hospital and the drug worked again. I have not smoke for many years and have lost the urge to pick the habit back up. Please, please do yourself a favor and use this life enhancing drug. It was the best decision"

JDLimbo January 3, 2017

"Day 1, that night, I broke out in a horrible, madly itching rash and had severe abdominal pain. I am afraid to take it again. Does anyone have a solution for this? Benedryl, rtc?"

GwaMa December 30, 2016

"F...ing great. It is great not to smoke. I have been smoking for 40 years and now I no longer need to I'm so happy to be free from it"

Rick a b December 30, 2016

"Nothing less than incredible. I have not even had any side affects; I'm a bit disappointed because I was curious about the funky dreams I had heard was common. Not a one. I started August '16 and stopped smoking about 3 weeks later. I'm on my last month of it now and will stop mid-January '17. It's really cool/interesting the way it takes away that desire. I'm kind of afraid of what will happen when I stop, though. Fortunately my insurance only made me pay $30 per month."

Causemoi (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2016

"I'm 62 years old and had been smoking since I was 12. For financial and health reasons decided it was time to quit. With the help of Chanix, I was able to quit after 3 weeks on the medication, I continued to take it for another 2 weeks before stopping it all together. Glad to say I am nicotine free for 7 months now. Not going to say at times I don't want a smoke but being able to tell myself I don't smoke and don't have to smoke is what I couldn't do in the past. So thank you, Chanix."

M. L. Smith (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2016

"I used chantix 10 years ago when I had been smoking for 30 years. I did not really want to quit but felt I should with the health issues and all. It worked for me without my having any willpower. I had never before tried to quit because I knew I wouldn't succeed so I was very surprised that this helped me quit."

Rojill December 17, 2016

"Well today is day 4 and as of today I am 1 day smoke-free I know it said I can smoke up until seven days but I ran out of cigarettes and I decided not to get anymore and to be honest I don't even have the urge to smoke I thought it would be really hard to quit I have tried the patches really didn't like the way that it made me feel asked the doctor for help and she gave me Chantix hopefully I won't have to go no longer than the 12 weeks thank you not only for me but for my four boys What a wonderful way to start the new year smoke-free"

Wannag December 15, 2016

"This is my second go around with Chantix -- the last time being 7 or so years ago. I'm on my second day with no smoking, (9th day on drug) and I feel like I have more energy, and generally feel like some cloud (no pun) has been lifted -- I haven't felt like this since I was 14 (started smoking a pack a day at 15). I've been a smoker for 30 years. I fear I'm on some kind of "pink cloud" that addicts often refer to. I've had some strange dreams, and had trouble falling asleep last night -- but aside from that, no other side effects. I'm hoping the dreams don't turn into nightmares, as they were so terrible 7 years ago when I first tried Chantix, that I had to stop."

ForgotToSmoke (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2016

"I have smoked since I was 12, quit from the age of 15-16 and started smoking again. I am currently 37. In the summer on a nice day sitting outside I could blow through 4 packs, winter 3 packs. I literally could suck down an entire cig in 3 minutes. I know two packs a day is considered a heavy smoker, 4 is death. I couldn't stop. Today is day 11 of Chantix and I am down to 1 cig a day. The medicine literally doesn't allow you to find any enjoyment in smoking. It tastes different, feels different and you do not get the blood stream satisfaction like you once did. People, if this medication can make me not enjoy a cig trust me when I say it's a miricle drug. I intend on writing the makers a thank you e-mail."

Grjnnf December 14, 2016

"I am in awe!! Over 30 years of smoking and I don't remember even smoking! I have been smoke free now for 1.5 years and feel great! Tried several times to quit in my lifetime with no success. Thank you Chantix!"

Jeff G December 12, 2016

"I smoked for 38 years, 1-2 packs a day. I started in April 1972, while in basic training. I took .5mg of Chantix for 2 weeks while smoking and in November 2010, at 930pm while driving to work, I had my last cigarette. I began the 1mg regimen the next morning. My mother died in May of 2011, and I stayed smoke free. I divested the family of mom's house, belongings and accounts, and stayed smoke free. I credit Chantix! I know that I had not asked my PCP to write the script for Chantix, I would still be smoking."

Art Living (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 11, 2016

"I have been on Chantix for 5 weeks now and smoke free for 4 of the 5 weeks. I was skeptical about the side effects but was more scared about what it would be like as a non-smoking adult. What would I do with the extra time? How would I handle stressful situations? Well... I handle life just fine, if not better, as a non-smoker! I had a few slight side effects such as a bit of nausea and a mild headache the first couple of days but otherwise I am extremely happy with the results. I continued smoking as normal for the first week. However, as the week continued I noticed that each cigarette I had started tasting worse and worse. By the sixth day, they were actually making me nauseous. I quit on the seventh day. The only time I have any urges is when I have a few (or more.......) alcoholic drinks but have managed to work through them without lighting up. It's been so awesome being able to breathe easier, smell better, sleep more soundly, less snoring (according to my wife), no more constant coughing, and overall, more energy. I now love being a non-smoker!"

New Life Now! (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2016

"I've tried this drug multiple times. DIfferent things going on at different times. it is a strange drug."

triplestarter (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2016

"I smoked for 20 years. I tried everything, zyban, patches, gum, hypnosis, vaping, etc. I had no problem making it a few days and a few times I even lasted a month, but I could never make it stick. I thought I could never quit. Chantix worked. Don't get me wrong, the side affects are awful. I had horrible, vivid nightmares. It also gave me painful stomach cramps and made me nauseous with the first 30 minutes of taking them (I found that taking the pills with a glass of milk helped). I'm glad I stuck with it though. I ended up taking the pills for about 3 months. Stopped smoking about 1 week in. It has now been almost 2 years smoke free. I still have the occasional craving ( maybe once a week) but they pass within a few minutes."

John4836 December 2, 2016

"Smoker for 53 years at pack a day. I am now on my 10th day of Chantix. The first 2 days I could'nt sleep. That went away, but when the dose increased on day 4 my stomach was always hurting. I took the pills right before I ate but still made my stomach hurt really bad and couldn't eat. The last couple of days I have waited to take the pill until after I finish my meal and that seems to have helped greatly. I smoked my last 1/2 cigarette this morning and would love to have one now at 1:00 pm. I have noticed that my cravings are reduced and have smoked only about 3 cigs a day for the past week. This is my last hope so I will stay with the Chantix untill the program is done. I didn't really want to quit but I knew my health depends on it."

jlo68 November 30, 2016

"Using Chantix was the best decision I have made! It won't make you quit smoking but if your ready it's a great tool. I followed the directions as it said and on the seventh day I quit and havnt picked up another cigarette. I did gain a few pounds the first 2 weeks after quitting but after that I went back to my normal eating habits although I do chew a lot of gum. I only experienced weird dreams as side effects which went away after a few weeks, definitely not bothersome. I definitely recommend Chantix if your ready!"

Quitter from Ky November 28, 2016

"Day 9 of Medication: Doctor told me all side effects and told me to hang with it for at least a week hoping side effects would decrease if I experienced any. Day 9 and I'm just as nauseous as day 1. I eat a hefty breakfast every morning now as I thought the first few days my breakfast just wasn't cutting it with the food intake but still feel sick to my stomach instantly after taking it-I wouldn't say you will gain weight with this even if you eat more since after taking you don't want to eat for the rest of the day. By dinner time I have to force my self to take 2nd pill as I know for the rest of the evening I will be sleepy and uncomfortable. some vivid dreams but nothing major. I feel the decrease of wanting to smoke but sick all the time"

Rose0124 November 27, 2016

"today is day 7 of using chantix. I'm a 33 year old disabled army vet. I have bi-polar, depression, PTSD, borderline personality disorder and I have been smoking for 20 years. I have tried everything to quit smoking, patches made me want to smoke more, the gum made my stomach feel like it was on fire and cold turkey made me homicidal. On day one I was smoking a pack a day. by day 4 I was smoking 1/2 a pack now I smoke about 3 cigarettes a day, but only a 1/2 a cigarette at a time. I have no nausea, no sleep issues, and no other side effects that I have noticed. I just seem to be be craving cigarettes less and less. I'm really hoping that within a few more days wont smoke at all."

Cl0v3r (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2016

"I started back up once. Then went back on Chantix 6 months later. The second time I just forgot to smoke. Family members pointed out I had not smoked all day. I have NO thoughts of smoking. And I am actually disgusted by the thought. I smoked for 20 years. And now my nicotine receptors have been totally reversed. I think Chantix is incredible. I had no side effects. Thank you Chantix."

Non-smoker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 16, 2016

"After a stroke at 36 years old it became quite apparent I needed to quit. There was no way I could do it on my own though. I only smoked 1.5 packs per day but they were menthol and I inhaled them very deeply. Waking my wife up at night coffing for about an hour along with the stroke I figured what the hell. She said I was quite nasty while I was on it ( 2 months ) but I really don't remember it. I did however eat a pill on an empty stomach once and thought it was burning a hole in my stomach that went on for about three hours. Chantix saved my life it's been 12 years and still going. Thanks Chantix Creators Doug"

EverD99 November 15, 2016

"I smoked for 38 years, half a pack a day. 2 days of Chantix my cigarettes tasted awful. I get no side affects, I'm sleeping so much better, I used to wake up in the middle of the night and think I had to get up and take a couple puffs to go back to sleep. Now when I wake up I fall right back to sleep. The best part is I don't even think about cigarettes, I'm on day 20. I'm just afraid once I stop the Chantix I might get cravings. I really feel blessed at this point for just being able to stop smoking, especially with no side affects. Oh and how can I forget, the Chantix was free through my insurance, also a blessing."

Grateful blessed nonsmoker November 8, 2016

"I loved smoking and didn't have plans to actually quit. However a friend wanted to quit and I agreed to join in her goal to help her with the understanding I would smoke again. She used the gum, patches etc. I chose Chantix and ten years later she is smoking and I'm a non smoker still. Amazing! It took 1 1/2 months that's it."

Ten years! November 8, 2016

"I started taking Chantix on 10/14/16 after discussing with my doctor what my options are as a bipolar. Because I have not had an episode or been on medication for two years we decided it would be safe to try. I selected 11/01/16 as my quit day. 7 days into the medication I really started to notice that cigarettes weren't satisfying anymore and would often get a headache and an odd metallic after taste afterward. I went from a pack a day to maybe 6 cigarettes a day afterward. I smoked my last cigarette on Halloween at around 9. It's been 7 days and I'm still smoke free. My husband still smokes and I'm fine. I've had zero side effects and finally confident that I can stay quit this time."

Pineapple808 November 8, 2016