User Reviews for Thioridazine to treat Schizophrenia

Moochie · August 11, 2010

Mellaril (thioridazine): “Moochie used to take Melleril, was always calm and hardly over ate. After being taken off that medication he now is prescribed Zyprexa. Zyprexa cost about 400 dollars for 30 pills and causes weight difference of 80lb gain over a three year period. Taking the Melleril never had signs of anxiety or stress. Slept comfortably and always went to bed on time at night. Since we no longer take the Melleril life has changed considerably. We now experience wandering at night, constant overeating to a weight gain already and he now being considered as obese. I recommend the Melleril as a excellent medicine as long as the side effects are not endangering the patient. The best medicine I've used to provide comfort.”

hibbs · Taken for 10 years or more · September 21, 2020

“30 years ago my wife was admitted to hospital care for behavior problems after not sleeping for almost 2 weeks , the fine doctors diagnoses was schizophrenia, including hallucinations paranoia, strong meds were helpful but not right for her at first. We went to a free clinic and they had an older women ,a brain surgeon who place her on thioridazine ,within a few days my wife had no more symptoms of her illness & no side effects regarding heart warnings or muscle movement. This was the wonderful story until last year when we were told it was no longer produced & unavailable for purchase. We have suffered one way or another the loss of all we've held dear ,jobs happy marriage friends self esteem finances as for the lest year ,we who are older, on medicare, are tossed from one therapist after another who refuse to put her back on thioridazine .sad but true, the med really did work.”

Not bad...but zombielike · Taken for 1 to 6 months · March 10, 2015

“Works on paranoia really well, very calming. But this is really for SEVERE symptoms (mostly POSITIVE schizophrenic symptoms like hearing voices, paranoia). The higher the dose, the more zombielike. It literally is a chemical straight jacket.. But some of us need it.”

Myme · Taken for 10 years or more · June 12, 2022

Mellaril (thioridazine): “I’ve been taking Mellaril for 38 years. It’s the only medication that works for treating my schizophrenia. Be aware when you are having surgery with your illness that the anesthesia can effect the schizophrenia part of the brain. The second time I had surgery my dad realized the anesthesia caused me to have psychosis. The first time I had surgery it took a month to get better. The second time I had surgery took 3 months to get better. I had to increase my medication to 400mg a day.”

Learn more about Schizophrenia