User Reviews for Testosterone

Also known as: Andro LA 200, Andro-Cyp 100, Andro-Cyp 200, Androderm, AndroGel, AndroGel 1.25 g Packets, AndroGel 2.5 g Packets, Aveed, Axiron, Delatest, Delatestryl, Depandro 100, Depo-Testosterone, Depotest, Duratest, ...show all 35 brand names

Learn more about Testosterone.

Testosterone Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 40 medications used in the treatment of Hypogonadism, Male.

Reviews for Testosterone to treat Hypogonadism, Male

"I was struggling pretty bad with chronic daily fatigue and a foggy head. After eliminating a few possibilities as to the cause I discovered low testosterone can cause these types of issues. I asked my doctor to be tested and sure enough I was low. My levels were actually lower than a 75 year old man (I was 30 at the time). Tried the gel, it worked but I didn't really like it. I was switched to the patches. The patches would not, for the life of me, stay on. Finally I was placed on the injection. The injection works great for me. I can do it in the comfort of my own home and I only have to do it once every 2 weeks. My wife was trained by a nurse on how to give the shots and that's how we do it. My levels are now within normal range."

Jwright7784 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 23, 2016

Testim (testosterone): "I had abnormally lot T readings, 199, 225 and 249, went on Androgel Brand name therapy, within a month, subsequent readings over 400, last reading was 76, and the only difference is that I was swiched to a generic brand, Perrigo, from Israel."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 22, 2016

FIRST-Testosterone MC (testosterone): "This is a compound drug that comes in a kit. The pharmacist behind the counter will mix it before dispensing it. It's a cheap cream that comes in a jar like coco butter and you put it on your shoulders. It's very difficult to get the correct dosage with a cream so that's why it didn't work for me. A gel is much better than cream, but the cream is cheaper."

Dirk Diggler July 22, 2016

Aveed (testosterone): "Received my first shot yesterday in term of effectivity I'm not sure yet however I did have some severe side effects following the injection. Dizziness, sweating, and I fainted however it passed in about 10 minutes."

Chris t (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2016

Axiron (testosterone): "I had used testosterone injection therapy with mixed results. My doctor was concerned about possible heart attacks in an article he read, so he switched me to Axiron. I took it 4 or 5 months. I did not find Axiron hard to apply other than waiting 3 minutes between deodorant and application. Sometimes, I felt a bit warm as far as body temperature afterwards. The problem was, it didn't work for me. Sexual function got worse and worse, and I just had a blood test where my testosterone was 105, horrendously low for mid 40's person. So basically, my body does not absorb it."

Brett77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2016

AndroGel (testosterone): "I am a 54 year old male; my free T came back at 29, very low. I was prescribed 1.62% less then a week ago. My motivation and energy levels coming back up already. I have no sex drive at al and cannot get or maintain an erection. Anxious to see how things progress in a couple weeks. Thanks to all for the great feedback."

MPW61 July 17, 2016

Testim (testosterone): "Just 3 days in on using Testim and with all the negative reviews I was worried. The application process is not a big deal to me and while sticky it drys quickly and my shirts don't stick. My wife noticed the smell but thought it smelled manly and no one else has commented yet. I barely notice it even having asthma. Reallly no apparent changes yet but today I had an itch on the side of my penis and started scratching it and almost in no time I was semi erect so I guess that's a good first step. My Urologist told me to expect changes after 5-6 days so we'll see."

Skeetman (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2016

Testim (testosterone): "this is a real scam ! it not work !"

kethouse (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2016

AndroGel (testosterone): "Worked well on restablishing "normal" testosterene levels, but strong impact on moods,,agresiveness and irritability."

Misha707 July 11, 2016

Testim (testosterone): "I have been using testim for 6 years now due to endocrine induced low testosterone count. Overall it has increased my libido and the smell is great to women. I take half tube per day (about 25mg). However, I experience joint pain all the time notably on my fingers obviously used to rub the stuff on my shoulders. I also feel pain under my feet. Getting up and trying to walk in the morning is a struggle. The symptoms disappear after 15-20 minutes. And the joint pain is less noticeable in summer when it's warmer. Last year I slipped and fell on my shoulder resulting in a comminuted fracture. I'm worried testim might be causing osteoporosis. My endocrinologist and Dr are aware of my symptoms but haven't offered any explanation to date."

Yayostyle July 4, 2016

Axiron (testosterone): "I have been using Axiron for 3 months and have experienced no noticeable positive effects. Still have low libido, no morning erections, lack of penile sensitivity, weak orgasms and lethargy. Going to try injections ASAP."

DoesNotWork June 10, 2016

Axiron (testosterone): "As a not-so-active 54 year old male who is a non-smoker and relatively light social drinker, my T level had dropped to a pathetic 120. I had no mojo for anything and my doctor commented out load how she wondered how I got out of bed in the morning. After 3 years of Axiron therapy (underarm application) I am at a very comfortable 900. I feel so much better and while my marriage did not survive this condition, my girlfriend is enjoying the benefits of this replacement therapy. It works for me (and my woman!)."

C'mon Friday (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 8, 2016

Testim (testosterone): "Androgel gave me a rash and my doctor prescribed this to me. I am supposed to apply 2 tubes but this is simple disgusting. It has a very strong sweet odor that never leaves your body. I absolutely hate it, everywhere I go I reek of this smell. Not sure what genius thought of this idea that something that has to be applied by millions people is supposed to have a fragrance. Secondly and this is bad too, it's disgusting to put on compared to androgel. It's more sticky / oily and never fully gets in the skin. I keep rubbing it for 10 minutes and still the outer layer of my skin is greasy and it never dries. It will probably work but I am going back on injections as I can't get over the smell / substance issues."

DonnieDP (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2016

"Looking at these different reviews I have to make a comment. I was placed on low T therapy in 2005. Tried Testim & Androgel, couldn't tolerate them, was refererred to a compounding pharmacy who produce whats called a bio identical testosterone gel, measured dose with a small spoon and applied to the skin, in my case upper forearms. Works great, no skin irritation, dries in a couple minutes, not sticky, clear in color, slight alcohol smell, bad thing insurance won't cover it, good thing it currently only costs $48. For a 30 day supply. Been using it now for 10 years.. might not be for everyone but worth a try if you are not getting positive results with the other products.."

oldguyaz (taken for 10 years or more) May 29, 2016

Testim (testosterone): "I've done well on Testim. Energy and mood levels up. Really helps in the gym, too. Lifting weights enhances the effect, probably because lifting helps augment T. Many women love the smell. I get lots of comments about it. In fact, it's pretty funny."

Eddie St J (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 23, 2016

Testim (testosterone): "Was forced to use Testim gel as my new insurance would not cover Fortesta or Androgel. This stuff is disgusting. NEVER completely dries...If I apply in the morning, even after an hour wait, my shirt sticks to me like glue. If I apply at night, MY SHEETS STICK TO ME. Smells terrible, extremely difficult to apply (comes in small metal tubes and nearly impossible to get it all out) and worst of all, did not raise my testosterone levels significantly. I dreaded applying this."

stickyone (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 6, 2016

Testim (testosterone): "Started using this less than a week ago. I've done test inj in the past and worked out and got dramatic results. Now that I'm older (48), my test is low, 208, my Dr prescribed Androgel, but insurance only covers Testim. Personally, I think it smells like Lysol. I am feeling better but hate the application process and the stickiness off my skin afterward. If my levels don't bump up on my next round of blood tests, I'm going to go to a urologist and see about getting the pellets put in."

jbrown9999 April 10, 2016

Androderm (testosterone): "39 yo male. Diagnosed with hypogonadism following a rather rapid loss of erections in Nov. 2015. Unable to maintain a normal erection. Loss of libido. Doctor found low testosterone as the issue. Levels were between 175 and 275; free testosterone at 6.2. I was prescribed Androderm 2mg patches and wore them for three weeks. Brought my T levels up to 350. My urologist upgraded me to the 4mg patch and wore those for approximately 2 weeks. While on the 2mg patch I noted irritation at the site beginning after about 7-10 days. I was rotating application sites as instructed but the reaction continued to get worse. Ended up switching to Axiron because the reaction to the patches was becoming severe/extreme. I was covered in itchy spots."

Sculler00 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2016

Testim (testosterone): "The stinking smell! Ugh. After I apply this gel (which for me dries quickly), I smell like I have women's perfume on all day. The smell does not diminish. I mean what are they thinking? You make a product for men with low T and then some genius in the lab decides to add a feminine scent to it? I am sure they are having a good laugh over that one. That said, beside the Chanel No. 5 scent, I do feel better after taking it now for two weeks. I have not had labs done yet, but I have noticed a change. I am going to try and change to something else, however, my insurance company made me jump through hoops to get it, but I just can't stand the smell."

WillnFLA April 5, 2016

"I am 54. Over the past seven years I have tried several medications. Beginning in 2009 with a compound cream. I stopped using the compound because I no longer felt that the pharmacy was mixing properly - no effects. I switched to Axiron - no effect and messy. I went to Androgel, then Fortesta, couldn't really identify the feeling that I was looking for. I do realize that the free testosterone was the issue. During 2015 I didn't take any at all as I was out of the country. I developed gynocomastia - as a result of too much estrogen. Before I left, I started taking Testim - which seemd good. However, the insurance company sent me a letter saying that they would not cover anymore. I had to take one of the others. I want to try injections."

Maverickman March 29, 2016

Axiron (testosterone): "I am 42 and I have been on 60mg Axiron for 6 weeks. Initial total T was 240 with all the symptoms of low T. Today my total is 840 and free is 248. I feel fantastic. The first couple of days were tough as my body adjusted. The only down side for me is the minor alcohol irritation after application but well worth it. Initially starting this medication my skin was oily, libido was out of control, my facial hair seemed to grow in within minutes, I was retaining water and my scrotum shriveled up. After a week or so everything returned to "normal". No back hair or sudden muscle bulk. No gyno or roid rage. The product works great for me and I was shocked as it seems everyone likes bashing the topicals and raving about injections."

J73 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2016

Axiron (testosterone): "I have been suffering negative physical effects brought on by extremely low testosterone. Several months ago my doctor performed a blood test substantiating yet again this to be factual. CVS Caremark who is in bed with CalPERS created a situation where I was forced to use AXIRON. CVS Caremark basis for creating a situation where I was to use AXIRON to treat my low T is based on them changing their formularies. Their formularies and creating a situation where I was using AXIRON have caused me further physical harm. After several months of correctly applying AXIRON blood test substantiate that my testosterone levels dropped off substantially. I'm pissed off. AXIRON is a junk product. "

AXIRON is worthless February 25, 2016

Axiron (testosterone): "After first couple days, it felt as if it made a difference but that could've just been psychosomatic effects. Basically, I haven't noticed any improvements in myself. If anything I have had a slight decrease in my mood, energy levels and overall motivation. I will continue using the product for at least another month and in in the meantime get my levels checked to see if I'm getting any sort of benefit to using this product. I will provide an update by next month."

Eli7 February 11, 2016

Axiron (testosterone): "In October of 2015, I am 65, I had a low normal t level of 362 and low libido. My urologist prescribed Axiron, one swipe a day. After a month, it went up, but only to 429. He said I could move the dose up to two swipes a day. One month later, in mid December, my T level had gone down to 407. After some disappointment, I decided to keep at it for another month. Today, February 9,2016, I got the results of the lab work from last week. It is 407! I did not know why I was getting no results. Am I the only person who has gotten no response from this product?. What could account for this,even at increased dosage? I have heard of a nasal spray, but I don't know if it is available. Anyone with a like experience or suggestions"

Robertintennessee (taken for 10 years or more) February 9, 2016

Axiron (testosterone): "Axiron works great. After 2 months my my T levels were between 400 and 500. Sadly, my insurance won't cover it anymore and now I'm force to find a new option because I can't afford $500 a month out of pocket."

J J B (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2016